**All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or religious reasons will still be subject to the weekly testing requirement. Otherwise, vaccinated employees will complete the attestation online in the first day of employment.**
Welcome to Fairfax County Government! We are happy you have decided to make Fairfax County your employer of choice, and we welcome you to our workforce. If you are moving to Fairfax County for your new job, here is some general information you might find helpful.
To speed up the onboarding process and prepare you for your first day, we have provided many of the forms you need to complete. Many can be filled out online, meaning that you can type in your information and print them to save time and ensure the information is easily readable. Benefit enrollment forms are also included below for those new employees who are eligible to receive benefits. Unless otherwise instructed, submit your forms to your agency's Human Resources/Payroll Contact.
Note: The forms below are intended for use only by new hires or current Fairfax County employees. Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6.0 or later is required to view the pdf files.
- New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options - Note: This notice provides important information about the health care options available in the Marketplace, to assist you as you evaluate your insurance options.
- Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement
- Social Security Card - Note: As a condition of employment, new employees are required to present an original Social Security card to their department's payroll contact, who then must forward a copy of it to the Payroll Division with the rest of the appointment paperwork. The copy of the Social Security card is required to ensure that taxes and Social Security deductions withheld from an employee's pay are accurately recorded under the name and Social Security number registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) - Note: Read attached instructions carefully before completing. Form I-9 must be completed and signed at the time your employment begins. Only complete the fields in Section 1 of the form. The remaining sections are to be completed by your employer upon verification of the documents you present to establish identify and employment authorization.
- Employee Withholding - Federal (Form W-4)
- Select the appropriate state tax form:
- Notice of Privacy
- Employee Handbook
If you are benefits eligible, you must make important and binding elections regarding the benefits coverage you desire. Use the following links for more information:
The county’s benefit programs are an important part of your total compensation, and provide additional financial protection for you and your family. Enrollment in these programs is not automatic and does require you to actively enroll within 30 days of your hire date. If coverage is not elected within this timeframe, the next opportunity to do so is during the annual open enrollment period; or within 30 calendar days of a qualifying change of status event. Coverage is effective the first month following the date of hire. If you have any questions regarding any of the programs, please contact HR Central at 703-324-3311, TTY 711.
Retirement Plan Forms
Fairfax County administers three Defined Benefit Retirement Systems, listed below. To designate your Retirement Plan and beneficiary(s) click the link below for the correct Retirement System. For an overview of these Plans, click HERE to watch an informative video from the Fairfax County Retirement Systems.
- Employees' Retirement System Plan E Beneficiary Designation
- Police Officers Retirement System Plan C Beneficiary Designation
- Uniformed Retirement System Plan F Beneficiary Designation
For detailed information on the retirement plans, visit fairfaxcounty.gov/retirement.