By Renee Edwards, Program and Educational Services Director
Participate in FCPL’s annual poetry competition from April 1 - May 7
Celebrate National Poetry Month by entering Fairfax County Public Library’s (FCPL) Poetic Musings poetry contest! This year participants are asked to create poems in one of three styles: free verse, rhymed or ode. For each style, two teen (ages 15-19) and two adult winners (ages 20+) will be selected. Winners will receive a $25 gift card, a certificate signed by the Library Director and an invitation to read their poem at our Poetic Musings Celebration on June 29.
Participant Entry Requirements:
- You must be at least 15 years of age.
- You must live, work or study in Fairfax County.
- Staff of Fairfax County Public Library and contest judges are ineligible to enter.
- One entry per person.
- Poems must be typed in either Times New Roman or Cambria in size 12 font.
- Poem length may not exceed two pages typed and may not include multiple columns of text.
- Poems may not be in a paragraph format. Each sentence should have its own line. Poems can
- include stanzas.
- Poems must be titled.
- Poems must be previously unpublished.
- Poetry must be uploaded as a single-sided PDF document. Do not upload photocopies from book or magazines.
- Poems are to be submitted online only. The online submissions form will be available from
- April 1 - May 7, 2023. Submissions will not be accepted by mail or in person.
Poetic Musings Poetry Workshops
To help get your poetic juices flowing, FCPL will be hosting virtual and in-person writing workshops that will focus on one of our featured poetry types: free verse, odes and rhymed. These programs will create safe and creative spaces for those who want to learn about poetry.
Writing Free Verse Poetry
- Virtual program on Thursday, March 2 at 7 p.m.
- In-person program on Thursday, March 9 at Kings Park Library at 7 p.m.
Writing Poems That Rhyme
- In-person program on Thursday, March 16 at Sherwood Regional Library at 7 p.m.
- Virtual program on Saturday, March 25 at 11 a.m.
Save the date for our in-person Poetic Musings Poetry Celebration! It is at Burke Centre Library on Thursday, June 29 at 7 p.m. Sign up for these and other FCPL poetry workshops and events: bit.ly/FCPL_Poetic