Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a cooperative resource sharing service that allows customers to borrow materials from other library systems within the United States that are not owned by Fairfax County Public Library. Please check our catalog to make sure we do not own an item before requesting it through ILL.
All interlibrary loan materials are courtesy loans from lending institutions so they determine the availability, due date, lending period, renewal possibility, restrictions on use, loan fees and replacement costs for all borrowed items.
Fairfax County Public Library cardholders who live, work, attend school or own property in Fairfax County and have an account in good standing (not barred or blocked) are eligible to borrow through interlibrary loan. Reciprocal borrowers are not eligible to borrow interlibrary loan material through Fairfax County Public Library. They will need to contact the library in the jurisdiction in which they live to borrow ILL items.
All interlibrary loan requests are placed through an Internet accessible system called ILLiad.
Interlibrary loan borrowing reminders:
- Time frame to receive material is three to eight weeks;
- Keep yellow wrapper on item;
- Handle ILL material with extreme care;
- Do not return ILL items in bookdrop;
- Return by due date; overdue fines are $1/day;
- Three active ILL requests are allowed at one time;
- Replacement costs for damaged or lost items range from $50-$300+.
For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Fairfax County Public Library
4000 Stringfellow Road
Chantilly, VA 20151-2628
Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm