For Immediate Release
June 23, 2021
Fairfax County, again this year, will close one northbound lane of Tysons Boulevard for community recreation as the region continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. The closure is scheduled to begin Wed., July 14, 2021 and will give pedestrians and bicyclists access to a .5 mile stretch of road from Westbranch Drive to the pedestrian entrance of Lillian Court at Tysons II (right before International Dr. around the Tysons Galleria area) connecting with bike lanes on both Park Run Drive and Westpark Drive. Residents will also have access to community amenities such as nearby Capital Bikeshare stations and a park at the corner of Westbranch Drive and Tysons Boulevard. The duration of the closure has not been determined.
In the spring of 2020, the Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling (FABB), the Tysons Partnership and others requested Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) and Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) consider this solution to support active transportation during the COVID-19 pandemic. This temporary closure follows the successful implementation of a closure of the same area in the summer of 2020 and is permitted through VDOT and funded by Fairfax County.
FCDOT and VDOT will closely monitor the traffic conditions and will reassess the closure if traffic patterns change. The data collected as part of this project will also be used to support assessment of future transportation projects.
Important Safety Information for Drivers and Fairfax Connector Passengers
With the new, temporary traffic pattern, vehicular travelers are reminded to:
- Slow down when driving and be on the lookout for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Watch out for cars, pedestrians and bicyclists turning into businesses or residences.
Due to the lane closure, Fairfax Connector Routes 494 and 495 will not serve stops #6364 and #6365 along Tysons Boulevard:
- For stop #6364 (Tysons Blvd./Westbranch Dr.), passengers should uses stop #6362 (Tysons Blvd./Galleria Dr.) as an alternate.
- For stop #6365 (Tysons Blvd./Park Run Blvd.), passengers should use stop #2442 (International Dr./Greensboro Dr.) as an alternate.
If you have questions about Fairfax Connector service:
- Visit www.fairfaxconnector.com for schedule and service information.
- Sign-up for text and email alerts at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/bustracker
- Call customer service at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608, or e-mail the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @ffxconnector or like us on Facebook/fairfaxconnector
We Want to Hear From You!
Comments or questions about this project are welcomed and may be provided by emailing email@example.com or by calling the FCDOT Active Transportation Team at 703-877-5600, TTY 711. For more information on this project and to stay informed, connect with us by:
- Visiting the project website at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transportation/tysons-boulevard-lane-closure
- Following FCDOT on Facebook @FFXTransportation
- Subscribing to Fairfax County transportation text or email alerts at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/alerts