Meetings will be held in the Board Conference Room of the Fairfax County Government Center unless announced otherwise.
John Carter - Chairman
Daniel Lagana - Vice Chairman
October 7, 2021 - Commission Bylaws and Procedures - Board Auditorium - In Person.
This meeting will also be broadcast live on Channel 16 and online at Channel 16 Stream | Cable and Consumer Services (fairfaxcounty.gov)
April 8, 2021
The Committee was constituted, where Commissioner John Carter was elected Chairman and Commissioner Daniel Lagana was elected Vice Chairman. Committee members discussed with staff changes to verbatim transcripts, speakers list and correspondence deadline, website navigation, and language access. The Committee voted unanimously to recommend to the full Planning Commission the following amendments to the bylaws:
- Eliminate verbatim transcripts;
- Move the speakers list deadline from 3pm to 1pm; and
- Establish a deadline for correspondence for matters that same evening to 1pm.
July 24, 2019
The Committee was constituted and Ellen J. Hurley was elected Chairman. The Committee discussed the proposed 2020 Planning Commission calendar, an overview of the application scheduling process, and a review of speaker times.
November 28, 2018
Karla Bruce, Chief Equity Officer, provided an overview of One Fairfax to the Committee.
April 4, 2018
The Committee was constituted and Ellen J. Hurley was elected Chairman. The Committee discussed the citizen engagement in land use matters and focused on the following topics:
- Current practices;
- Office of Public Affairs support for the Department of Planning and Zoning;
- Community perceptions and expectations; and
- Current and future engagement trends and needs.
Fairfax County Land Use Outreach and Communication Tools
September 13, 2017
The Committee discussed with staff the following topics:
1. Planning Commission bylaw update to reflect Site Specific Plan Amendment speaker times
2. Update on citizen engagement initiatives:
- Fairfax First Project Team 10;
- Urban Land Institute Regional Fellowship;
- Chairman Bulova's Community Council on Citizen Engagement; and
- Planning Commission speaker survey.
3. Responses to Planning Commission-related recommendations from Chairman Bulova's Community Council on Land Use Engagement:
- Communicate early in the process;
- Improve efforts to go into the community rather than holding meetings at the Government Center;
- Develop program to capture feedback from residents who attended meetings; and
- County meeting times should be more convenient.
April 26, 2017
The Committee was constituted and Ellen J. Hurley was elected Chairman. The Committee reviewed with the Zoning Administration Division staff the 2017 Zoning Ordinance Amendment Work Program.
February 1, 2017
The Committee was given a presentation on the upgrade to the new customized hardware and programming for the purpose of introduction of iPads for use by the Planning Commission members.