Kathy Smith was elected Sully District Supervisor of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on November 3, 2015. Her term is for four years. Prior to serving on the Board of Supervisors, Kathy served as the Sully District Representative to the Fairfax County School Board for 14 years. While she was on the School Board she was elected Chairman three times.
Originally from New Jersey, Kathy has lived in the Sully District with her husband, Steve, since 1984. They have four children who all attended Fairfax County Public Schools. Kathy spent many years active in her children's youth sports leagues, and served as PTA President at all three schools attended by her children: Poplar Tree Elementary School, Rocky Run Middle School, and Chantilly High School.
Kathy was a teacher for seven years, teaching first grade in New Jersey and second grade at an International School in Saudi Arabia. She graduated from Muhlenberg College with a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and Elementary Education.
Supervisor Smith serves on the following committees:
- Board of Supervisors Development Process Committee (Chairman)
- Board of Supervisors Transportation Committee (Vice-Chairman)
- Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG)
- COG Board of Directors (Alternate)
- COG Metropolitan Washington Air Quality Committee (Principal)
- COG Region Forward Committee (Principal)
- Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC)
- Phase II Dulles Rail Transportation Improvement District Commission
- Route 28 Highway Transportation Improvement District Commission
- Interjurisdictional Committees:
- Loudoun County (Chairman)
- Prince William County (Chairman)