Winter Weather Tips:
- Get where you need to be before the weather gets bad.
- Monitor weather to stay informed of the latest timing and intensity along your travel routes.
- Stay informed with social media, Fairfax Alerts and weather service alerts.
- Adjust commutes to avoid driving during storms until conditions improve.
- Take it slow on bridges, ramps, overpasses and other known trouble spots.
- Ensure gas tanks and windshield fluid tanks are full, and take time to update your car’s emergency kit.
- Park in driveways or on one side of the street to allow VDOT snow plows room to pass in your neighborhood.
VDOT Online Resources:
Hypothermia Prevention Program:
Fairfax County government works with faith communities, businesses and nonprofit partners to provide shelter for our most vulnerable members of the community. From December through March, hypothermia shelters are open every day of the week. If cold weather hits outside of that timeframe, a "no turn-away" policy goes into effect at all Fairfax County emergency homeless shelters.