For Immediate Release
November 12, 2019
Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) will hold a community meeting to discuss the temporary slug line and parking relocation from the Old Keene Mill Road Park and Ride during the construction of the Springfield Commuter Parking Garage. Construction will begin in Spring 2020 and is expected to be completed in Fall 2022.
The meeting will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, 7- 9 p.m. Forestdale Elementary School (Cafeteria) located at 6530 Elder Avenue in Springfield.
About the Relocation
FCDOT has identified alternative, temporary parking for users of the existing park-and-ride lot until the new Springfield Multi-Use Parking Garage is completed.The 278 parking spaces and slug lines that currently operate at the Old Keene Mill Commuter Lot will be moved to:
- Springfield Town Center Frontier Garage There are 800 spaces available on the 2nd, 4th and 6th levels. The slug line pickup area will be located on the 1st level.
- Springfield United Methodist Church, 7047 Old Keene Mill Road, with 54 park-and-ride spaces. Additional parking for the Springfield United Methodist Church slug line can be found at Springfield Plaza, 7099 Bland Street (254 spaces) or the American Legion, 6520 Amherst Avenue (100 spaces).
About the Springfield Commuter Parking Garage Project
The Springfield Multi-Use Parking Garage is a six-level structure that will hold approximately 1,000 parking spaces and will enhance commuters' transportation options with the installation of:
- a bus transit center and seven bus bays
- commuter (slug) spaces
- a short-term parking area for pick up and drop off
- a pedestrian bridge over Old Keene Mill Road, connecting the garage to Springfield Plaza
- bicycle storage
- community areas for gatherings and events on the ground level and roof top
The total project estimate is $63.81 million, and is fully funded by the Federal Transit Agency, Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (Federal Highway Administration), and the Fairfax County Commercial and Industrial Tax.
For more information on the relocation and the parking garage, including Frequently Asked Questions, go to the project page.