For Immediate Release
Dec. 10, 2018
On Dec. 4, 2018, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors recognized a record number of 14 employers who have taken steps to become a Best Workplace for Commuters. The addition of these new employers strengthens Fairfax County’s position as the national leader with a total of 93 Best Workplaces for Employers designees.
Julie Bond, program manager of Best Workplaces for Commuters, complimented employers in Fairfax County: “These employers support commute options like taking the bus, walking, biking, telework compressed workweek or carpooling. These travel options reduce travel time, save employees money on gas and make them feel good about working at these worksites. Employee-provided commuter benefits give them a competitive edge in employee recruitment, retention and brand recognition. We also know that commute options can lead to an increase in productivity, employee retention, and put us on the map for attracting top talent in our sector."
Fairfax County Commuter Services (FCCS), a program of the Fairfax County Department of Transportation, works with employers, residential properties and commuters to encourage alternatives to driving alone to work. By providing employers information about ridesharing, helping companies invest in their infrastructure for bicyclists and teleworkers, and providing incentives for commuters, FCCS is working to improve the quality of life for everyone in Fairfax County.
The 2018 Best Workplaces for Commuters designees offered a variety of transportation benefits and incentives to their employees to achieve the designation, including:
- flextime and compressed work week;
- SmarTrip® cards loaded on a pre-tax basis through payroll deduction or a direct funding benefit to employees up to the maximum allowed by the IRS;
- emergency ride home program;
- ride matching services;
- preferred parking for those who carpool;
- bike parking;
- electric vehicle charging stations;
- rides to transit via Uber and Lyft; and
- local corporate housing for out of state vising employees.
The employers honored as a 2018 Best Workplaces for Commuters in Fairfax County designation are:
- AbleVets LLC (Chantilly)
- Bart & Associates (McLean)
- KeyW Corporation (Hendon)
- Logistics Management Institute (LMI) (Tysons)
- Merritt Group (McLean)
- MorganFranklin Consulting (McLean)
- Northwest Federal Credit Union (Herndon)
- Odin, Fedman & Pittleman, P.C. (Reston)
- Qore Performance Inc. (McLean)
- Revature (Reston)
- Schneider Electric (Fairfax)
- SeKON Enterprise, Inc. (Reston)
- TeraThink Corporation (Reston)
- Tesla Government (Vienna)
Best Workplaces for Commuters is a membership program managed by the National Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida that provides qualified employers with national recognition and an elite designation for offering outstanding commuter benefits. For more information on becoming a Best Workplace for Commuters, or to set-up commuter benefits programs for your company, contact Fairfax County Commuter Services (FCCS) at 703-877-5600 (TTY 711) or via email at DOTCommuterServices@fairfaxcounty.gov.