Phase 3 Reopening Guidelines
On December 14, 2020, Governor Northam announced other statewide measures in Executive Order 72 to try to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Virginia.
On January 27, 2021, Governor Northam extended Executive Order 72 until February 28, 2021:
A summary of some key points from the Updated Phase Three Guidelines are as follows:
- Employees must wear face coverings over their nose and mouth while working at their place of employment.
- Patrons must wear face coverings, except while eating or drinking.
- No capacity limits to indoor and outdoor seating as long as six feet distancing is maintained.
- All public and private in-person gatherings must be limited to 10 patrons or less.
- No alcoholic beverage shall be sold, consumed, or possessed on premises after 10 p.m. in any restaurant, dining establishment, food court, brewery, microbrewery, distillery, winery, or tasting room.
- Alcoholic beverages may continue to be sold via delivery or take-out after 10 p.m., as permitted by existing regulations promulgated by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority.
- Closure of all dining and congregation areas in restaurants, dining establishments, food courts, breweries, microbreweries, distilleries, wineries, and tasting rooms between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 5 a.m.
- Restaurants, dining establishments, food courts, breweries, microbreweries, distilleries, wineries, and tasting rooms may continue to offer delivery and take-out services between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 5 a.m.
- Bar seats and congregating areas of restaurants continue to be closed to patrons except for through-traffic.
- All individuals in the Commonwealth ages five and over shall wear face coverings in indoor public spaces. (E.O. 63-Amended)
- Individuals are required to wear masks in outdoor areas where social distancing isn’t possible as well as all indoor areas shared with others besides when you’re in your own household.
- Enforcements will continue at restaurants and bars.
See the Updated Phase Three Guidelines.
- See the Phase 3 FAQ page on the Governor's Forward Virginia website.
- To file an online complaint related to Executive Order 72 related only to masks and distancing requirements in certain business sectors, click here.
- For more information about Executive Orders issued by Governor Northam related to the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.
See COVID-19 Materials page for additional resources and languages.