6. Occupancy

Non-Residential Use Permit (NON-RUP) Before Occupancy

In accordance with Section 18-701 of the County Zoning Ordinance, no occupancy or use shall be made of any structure or of any premises, and no change in use shall be permitted, unless and until a Non-Residential Use Permit (Non-RUP) has been approved in accordance with the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. A Non-RUP shall be deemed to authorize and is required for both the initial and continued occupancy and use of the building or land to which it applies.

For more information and the permit application, visit the Non-Residential Use Permits Web page or contact the Zoning Permits Branch at (703) 222-1082

Fire Marshal's Office Requirement

Within five days of obtaining a Non-RUP and the occupancy is in use, a post-occupancy inspection by a Fire Marshal inspector is always required. To schedule a post-occupancy inspection, contact the Fire Inspections Branch at 703-246-4849. From this visit, the inspector will determine which Fire Prevention Code Permits (FPCP) will be required for activities, processes, and occupancies regulated by the Fire Prevention Code. Once issued, Fire Prevention Code Permits allow the permit applicant to (i) conduct activities involving the handling, storage, or use of substances, materials, or devices regulated by the Fire Prevention Code, (ii) conduct processes regulated by the Fire Prevention Code which produce conditions hazardous to life or property, (iii) and/or to establish a place of assembly. A complete list of FPCP requirements and associated fees are available online.

Once a project is completed, several agencies continue to monitor compliance with various codes for the life of the building or structure.  Continuation of inspections are necessary to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public after the building is occupied. 


Periodic Inspections



Other Involved Agencies

Staff is Available for Assistance

County staff is available through the Customer Information Center by email or via phone at the following numbers:

  • Zoning Permits (Plats, Permit Review, Occupancy, Home Occupations) 703-222-1082, TTY 711
  • Zoning Administration (Zoning & Noise Ordinance Questions, Appeals, Signs) 703-324-1314, TTY 711
  • Zoning Evaluation (Zoning Applications, Staff Reports) 703-324-1290, TTY 711
  • Planning Division (Comprehensive Plan) 703-324-1380, TTY 711
  • Site and Subdivision Plans: Engineer of the Day, 703-324-2268, TTY 711
  • Building Permits: Permit Application Center, 703-222-0801, TTY 711
  • Building Code Questions, 703-631-5101, TTY 711
Fairfax Virtual Assistant