Multiple Planners of the Day (POD) are on duty from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to answer questions from members of the public by phone or email. Contact information for the POD and the types of questions each POD can answer are available below.
- Community Revitalization and Urban Centers Sections: If you have questions regarding urban design and land use planning in Tysons or Reston, community revitalization or urban design guidelines, please contact our POD by phone at 703-324-9300 or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planning Division: If you have questions regarding the Comprehensive Plan, heritage resources, environmental planning, or public facilities planning, please contact our POD by phone at 703-324-1380 or by email at email@example.com.
- Zoning Administration Division: If you have basic questions on what a use may be, applicable yards or setback requirements, if a proposed use or structure is allowed in a specific zoning district and under what permissions, and other general zoning-related questions, please contact our POD via phone at 703-324-1314 or by email at ORDAdmin@fairfaxcounty.gov.
- Zoning Evaluation Division: If you have questions regarding previously approved entitlements (rezoning, special exception, special permit, or variance), entitlements currently under consideration, or the entitlement process, please contact our POD by phone at 703-324-1290 or by email at DPZMail2@fairfaxcounty.gov.
To accommodate individuals with limited access to technology resources or specific needs, in-person appointments are available on an as-needed basis. Requesting appointments for in person visits are encouraged. The Herrity Building is open to the public from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. During these hours, staff from the Department of Planning and Development will be available to assist with general questions. However, to save you time and energy we encourage you to call us before you come in. We have great phone and online resources. In person appointments can be made in advance by phone (see contact information above).
- Community Revitalization and Urban Centers Sections, Suite 755
- Planning Division, Suite 730
- Zoning Administration Division, Suite 807
- Zoning Evaluation Division, Suite 801
- Accessory Living Units
- Comprehensive Plan
- DPD PLUS Information & Support
- Home-Based Business
- Interpretations of the Zoning Ordinance
- JADE - Comprehensive Mapping Application
- Rezoning Process
- Special Exception Process
- Special Permit Process
- Variance Process
- Zoning Compliance Letters
- Zoning FAQs
- Zoning Map
- Zoning Ordinance
- Zoning Related Permits