- To view any Fairfax County job listing and apply for a job, you must create an account and build your application using the ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. You will find the official job listing for Deputy Sheriff by selecting "sheriff" under "department" and clicking "go." A link to the position description will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Candidates invited to continue in the process will be required to complete the following:
PLEASE DO NOT SEND A RESUME VIA EMAIL. You will only be considered for employment through your submission in the online job application system.
- Carry out the core duties of the Sheriff’s Office, including operating the Adult Detention Center, providing security in the Courthouse and serving civil law process. All Sheriff's deputies are certified law enforcement officers.
- Work a 12.5 hour day or night shift while assigned to the Adult Detention Center. All shifts work about 15 days per month for a total of 87.5 hours per two-week pay period, including weekends and holidays.
- At least 21 years of age at date of Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy graduation and at least 20 years of age at date of application
- U.S. citizen
- High school diploma or successful completion of a U.S. Department of Education recognized G.E.D. testing program
- Must never have been convicted of a felony, serious misdemeanor or crime of moral turpitude
- Must be able to obtain a Class "A" medical rating in the assigned medical group before appointment
- Must be a non-smoker at time of appointment and willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement to refrain from smoking both on and off duty
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license without a negative point balance at the time of appointment
- Must successfully complete a field training program (on-the-job-training) upon graduation from the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy
- Must obtain the following from the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services within one year of appointment:
- Certification as a law enforcement officer
- Certification as a jailor
- Certification in court security and civil process
- Certification in firearms proficiency
Email the applicant recruiting office or leave a message with your contact information at 703-246-4105 [TTY 711 for hearing impaired].