The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office derives its legal authority from the Virginia Constitution, Code of Virginia and Fairfax County Code of Ordinances. In line with its legal authority, the Sheriff's Office adheres to a set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
The Sheriff's Office has nine categories of SOPs covering the subjects listed below. We have made available the majority of these SOPs except where there are security concerns or they are under review.
- General Administration and Personnel Management
- Emergency and Special Situations
- Inmate Services and Programs
- Alternative Incarceration Branch General Administration
- Medical Services
- Inmate Classification and Records Management
- Court Services Division General Administration
- Court Services Division Civil Enforcement Branch