The Sheriff's Office has ended Reserve Deputy Sheriff recruiting for the Spring 2018 academy. Please check back in the spring for recruiting news.
Reserve deputies are uniformed volunteers trained to perform a variety of operational and administrative assignments for the Sheriff's Office. Selection of candidates is based on a comprehensive assessment of each applicant’s qualifications and availability. Each candidate also will undergo a background investigation. Reserve deputies receive additional training through their quarterly meetings and are eligible to attend most training available to sworn and civilian staff.
- Set up an account through the Fairfax County Volunteer Management System (VMS). First, register in VMS and create your volunteer profile.
- Once you have an account, you can log in and apply for the Reserve Deputy Sheriff opportunity.
- United States citizen
- At least 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- No convictions for felonies, serious misdemeanors or crimes of moral turpitude.
- The opportunity to give back to your community
- Uniform and equipment at no cost
- At least 12 hours of service each month (144 hours per calendar year)
- Eight hours of training annually to maintain status as Reserve Deputy Sheriff
Training: Reserve Deputy Sheriff Academy
- Primary location: Fairfax County Public Safety Center, 10520 Judicial Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030
- 10 weeks of classroom and practical training on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings
- Coursework includes, but is not be limited to:
- Inmate interviews, supervision, behavior and searches
- Courtroom security, searches and testimony
- Handcuffing, key control and hostage situations
- Defensive tactics
- Civil law process
- Traffic and crowd control
- Child ID program
- Cultural diversity awareness
- Communication and public information
- Report writing
- CPR, AED and first aid
- Firearms awareness
- Baton and OC spray
- Adult Detention Center operations support
- Courthouse security
- Courthouse information
- Safe Visitation and Exchange Program for Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court
- Inmate labor supervision
- Child ID technician
- Child safety seat technician
- Community relations support
- Special events support
- Traffic and/or crowd control