- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age by the next general election
- A resident of Virginia
To remain a qualified registered voter, the law requires you to notify your local voter registration office of any change in your name or address. This must be done before the registration books close for the next election. You can submit your notice of change of name or address either by mail to the Fairfax County Office of Elections, P.O. Box 10161, Fairfax, VA, 22038-8061, by fax to 703-324-2205, or you can scan your notice of change, including your signature and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org In either case, the notice must include your signature to be valid. Notice cannot be made by telephone.
After your change is processed, you will be mailed a new voter information postcard. If a new postcard does not arrive within a few weeks, please call us at 703-222-0776 to confirm that your notice was received. Please note that the postcard cannot be used in place of a valid Photo ID, as it does not include a photo.
You may register to vote year-round except during the 22 days prior to a General or Primary election, 13 days prior to a Special election, or 7 days prior to a Special election called by the Governor (Code of Virginia §24.2-416).
2018 Election Voter Registration Deadlines:
• June 12 Primary Election(s): May 21 at 5:00 p.m., ONLINE: 11:59 p.m.
• November 6 General Election: October 15 at 5:00 p.m., ONLINE: 11:59 p.m.
- Online, at the Virginia Department of Elections website.
- Normal, in-person business hours at the Fairfax County Office of Elections are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and Thursday, 8:00 a.m - 7:00 p.m. Please note that office hours are extended for statutory deadlines.
Office hours are extended prior to Elections specifically for voter registration and absentee voting. To determine the extended hours for any upcoming Election, please visit our absentee voting page. Hours are also extended for candidate campaign finance filing deadlines, absentee ballot application deadlines and voter registration deadlines.
Fairfax County Office of Elections
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 323
Fairfax, Virginia 22035-0081
703-324-4700 for 24-hour recorded information
Persons eligible to register can obtain a registration application at any of the following locations:
- Online Registration
- Local voter registration office
- Download a PDF copy of the registration form
- State or local government offices when applying or re-certifying for:
- Aid to Dependent Children
- Food Stamps
- Rehabilitation Services
- Government offices in the State that provide State-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities
- Armed forces recruitment offices
- Public libraries
- Virginia Department of Elections office
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- Voter Registration Drives
Mail the completed and signed application to:
Fairfax County Office of Elections
P.O. Box 10161
Fairfax, VA 22038-8061
PLEASE NOTE: By law, first-time voters in Virginia who register by mail must vote in person (either on Election Day or Absentee In-Person) unless they are:
- Overseas Citizens
- Citizens with a disability or illness
- Active duty members of the military or their dependents
* Please enclose a copy of one of the following documents that shows your name and address with your application: (1) current and valid photo ID, (2) current utility bill, (3) bank statement, (4) government check, (5) paycheck, or (6) other government document.
Download the Virginia Voter Registration Application. You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader program installed on your computer to view and to print the application. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and is distributed by Adobe Systems.