The Fairfax County Police Department is the first in the nation to be granted a charter to operate units of the new Public Safety Cadets organization. Public Safety Cadets is a new, national organization that partners with law enforcement agencies to provide leadership, ethics, and career preparation training to young women and men 14-21 years old with an interest in a career in law enforcement. Fairfax County will operate three units of Public Safety Cadets in different locations throughout the County with police officers serving as mentors. Public Safety Cadets will allow the FCPD to conduct important youth outreach and recruitment of local young adults to one day fill our ranks.
Key benefits of the Public Safety Cadets program include:
- National Events and Career Skills Competition
- Leadership Development Academy
- Mentor training
- Unit program accreditation
- Youth Safety program for all participants
- Academic credits for community service
- Building a recruitment pipeline and pathway for employment
- Liability Insurance and Supplemental Accident Insurance
- Local input and full transparency
- State and regional associations encouraged (state association presidents will be ex-officio members of the national committee)
- Advisory Board of distinguished law enforcement and public safety professionals
More information can be found at www.publicsafetycadets.org
We anticipate beginning our first recruit class of Public Safety Cadets in the fall of 2019. Once plans are made, we will provide information about opportunities for interested candidates to learn more and apply to join the program.