For all due dates, if the date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or County holiday, the due date is extended to the following business day.
Tax bills are mailed approximately 30 days prior to the payment due date.
Service members deployed outside of the United States may be allowed an extension for payment of Real Estate and Vehicle (“Car”) Taxes. To request a payment extension under this provision, the service member should notify the Department of Tax Administration of his or her deployment and then contact us and pay within 90 days upon return. A copy of military orders is required.
End of February
Annual Notice of Real Estate Assessment Change notices mailed.
Deadline to file real estate assessment appeal with the Department of Tax Administration
By May 1
Real estate tax rate set by Board of Supervisors.
Deadline to file real estate appeal with Board of Equalization.
First installment real estate tax payment due.
Second installment real estate tax payment due.
- Vehicles (and mobile homes) purchased or moved into county must register within 60 days.
- Online vehicle registration
- Personal Property Mobile Home Filing Return
Payment due for vehicles purchased or moved into the county and registered with Fairfax County on or after July 1 of the prior year.
Deadline to report changes in vehicle ownership and addresses for renewals and to register boats, trailers, and mobile homes.
Payment due for existing vehicles and new vehicles registered in the county prior to July 1.
- All new businesses that are starting or relocating into the county must register for Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) within 75 days.
- Business, Professional and Occupational License Application
- New Short Term Rental businesses must return their application for certification within 30 days of the start of business. Quarterly filings are required and are due no later than the 20th of the month following the end of the quarter.
- Transient Occupancy Tax is due on or before the last day of the month following each quarter.
- Other County Licenses
Renewal Application for Certification as a Short Term Rental Business due.
Business, Professional & Occupational License (BPOL) renewal deadline and payment due.
Business Return of Tangible Personal Property and Machinery and Tools filing deadline.
Business tangible personal property tax payment due.
Renewal deadline for returning applicants in the Tax Relief Program.
Deadline for first-time or hardship tax relief applicants to apply for current and one prior year.
- All dogs four months of age and older must be licensed.
- Dog License Application Form
- Online dog license (Renewals Only)
Dog License Renewal and payment deadline (applications mailed in November)