The Fairfax Falls Church Community Services Board’s Detoxification Diversion Outreach Team is a mobile unit of trained clinicians dispatched to locations where individuals under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol can be evaluated and, potentially, engaged in detox related services. The team is based at the Fairfax Detoxification Center (Fairfax Detox) at 4213 Walney Road in Chantilly, VA. Fairfax Detox is a 24/7 residential program that provides a supervised, structured, supportive and therapeutic environment where individuals can safely detoxify from drugs and alcohol. Detox staff provide both medical and non-medical management of withdrawal symptoms. Generally, individuals stay for 3 to 10 days.
What we do
The Detox Diversion Outreach team intervenes in the destructive cycle of alcohol and drug dependence, engages people in recovery-based services, and helps to promote transition into community services that help sustain abstinence and recovery. Team members respond to police requests for intervention when a person is intoxicated in public and would benefit from detoxification services. Team members also provide outreach services to shelters, hospitals and other public settings. The diversion outreach team cannot respond to private residences without the presence of law enforcement officers.
Detoxification diversion services provide an alternative to incarceration for individuals who are intoxicated in public.
Who we help
To be eligible for detoxification diversion, an individual must meet the following criteria:
- Adults 18 or over and voluntarily agree to participate in detox services.
- Absent of acute medical issues.
- No aggressive, violent or threatening behavior.
- Not experiencing acute psychiatric distress, which may require a higher level of care.
How to refer someone to the Detoxification Diversion Outreach Team
- To request Detox Diversion Outreach Services, call 703-502-7000 between the hours of 3 p.m. and 1 a.m.
- Provide the individual’s name, location and your contact number.
- A Diversion Outreach team member will return your call as soon as possible.
What happens next?
- If the Outreach Team is available, they will attempt to make arrangements to assess individual.
- If the person meets the eligibility criteria and a bed is available, the Outreach Team provides transport to Fairfax Detox.
- If an individual is not eligible for services, Diversion Outreach team staff provide additional referrals for services within the community.