Effective June 25, 2017
Children: Up to 2 children ages 4 and under (traveling with an adult paying full fare) travel FREE
Students: Fairfax County High School and Middle School students with valid Free Student Bus Pass travel FREE between hours of 5 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Transfer: Passengers transferring from the VRE system to a Fairfax Connector bus will be allowed a free, one-way transfer when boarding at a VRE station. Passengers must display valid VRE fare media (passes, tickets). Passengers returning on a Fairfax Connector bus to a VRE station are required to pay the full, applicable bus fare.
Policies and Guidelines
- Please have your fare media (SmarTrip® cards, cash, passes) ready when boarding the bus.
- Exact fare is required when paying by cash. Pennies are not accepted.
- Drivers do not carry cash and do not make change.
- Fairfax Connector no longer issues paper transfers. However, paper transfers from other systems will be honored.
- Swipe your SmarTrip® card separately from other electronic-readable media to avoid malfunctions and misreads, including reading of information embedded in other media.
- Fare media may be purchased at Connector Store locations.
- Bus passes issued by regional bus systems, including VRE passes, VRE Transit Link Cards, DASH Pass or MetroAccess ID cards can be used as valid fare media. Transfers using a SmarTrip® card are valid for making an unlimited number of bus-to-bus transfers, including round trips, within two hours of the first boarding. An additional fare may have to be paid when transferring between transit systems.
- Full fares are discounted to the amounts on the fare chart for customers 65 years of age and older and persons with disabilities.
- Seniors can receive a reduced fare by showing the bus operator a Medicare or Medicaid card and paying the fare in cash. However, the preferred method is to utilize a Senior SmarTrip® card. Individuals can acquire a Senior SmarTrip® card at any Connector Store or WMATA Commuter Store by showing proof of age and paying the $2.50 card purchase fee.
- For information on receiving a reduced fare for persons with disabilities, visit WMATA's reduced fare program.
Travel Cheaper and Easier with SmarTrip®
- A SmarTrip® card provides for up to two hours of free bus-to-bus transfers, and $0.50 discounts for bus-to-rail transfers.
- SmarTrip® cards can be purchased at Connector Stores, Metrorail Stations, and most CVS and Giant Food locations.
For More Information
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call our Telephone Information Center (TIC) at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608
(Monday - Friday, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday - Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Visit one of our Connector Stores at six convenient locations:
Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) and Fairfax Connector ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need this information in an alternate format or would like to request reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency for events, contact FCDOT at 703-877-5600, TTY 711. Requests for assistance must be received at least 7 business days in advance of an event.