As stewards of the county’s land development and building construction codes and regulations, Land Development Services facilitates the safe and sustainable building of our communities. We achieve service excellence by building partnerships with stakeholders to create a thriving Fairfax County. We enforce the standards set forth in applicable codes such as:
- the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code
- Fairfax County ordinances (e.g., subdivision, stormwater, Chesapeake Bay, zoning
- the Public Facilities Manual
We protect the health, safety, welfare, and environment for those who live in, work in, and visit Fairfax County by:
- Reviewing all site, subdivision and building plans, and issuing all applicable site and building permits
- Conducting all required inspections of new structures and alterations to existing ones
- Processing bonds and agreements
- Providing technical training
- Conducting customer outreach programs to help homeowners, builders, engineers and contractors comply with land development and building codes
- Taking action against non‐compliant construction and land disturbing activities
- Fairfax County has been awarded the highest achievable rating for building code effectiveness under the current Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. Read more.
As members of the Land Development Services team, we accomplish our mission by embracing our values in a work environment that protects the health and well-being of each other and the public.
Facilitate the safe and sustainable building of our communities
Be the best partner in creating a thriving Fairfax County
- Accountability: Fulfill your obligations and expect others to do the same
- Collaboration: Work together towards a common goal and support innovation
- Empowerment: Trust and support employees to lead and make decisions that align with our mission
- Integrity: Consistently demonstrate honesty, sincerity, openness and moral uprightness
- Respect: Value others by demonstrating fairness, appreciation and understanding
- Safety: Adhere to safe working practices on and off the job
We value our partnership with the public and the building industry.