Building Plan Review is responsible for verifying that designs submitted for construction comply with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. This page provides information about the review process and access to the review results of active projects.
- Building Codes and Standards
- Common Rejection Reasons
- Reviewer Contact Information
- Design Elements Needing Special Inspections
- Local Design Load Criteria
- Minimum Submission Requirements
- Residential Truss Shop Drawing Submission Form
- Sealed Drawings
- Wastewater Discharge Requirements
There are also several Project Specific Guidelines available to assist you with design requirements as well as with the permit and inspection process. Popular publications for residential construction are Decks, Finished Basements and Residential Additions. There are also publications available for commercial construction that provide information on New Commercial Buildings and Additions as well as for Tenant Layouts. Many more publications are available online.
Plans may also need approval by other County agencies.
Qualifying projects are reviewed more rapidly.
- ePlans – Skip the paper! Electronic plan reviews with online permit applications.
- Residential and Commercial Walk-Thru Program – Same-day service for smaller projects
- Adaptive Reuse Program – Change of use in existing buildings - skip the backlog of plans in queue.
- Expedited Building Plan Review – Third party review program that can shorten review time by half.
- Fast Track Program – Tenant plans for smaller spaces with no structural work or food service uses.
- Green Building Priority Plan Review – Skip the backlog of plans in queue.
- Modified Processing – Projects with $50 million worth of improvements or more receive foundation permits early.
- Pre- and Post-Submission Meetings – Meet with county plan review staff to discuss your project before plan review or after a failed review was received
- Revitalization Districts – Larger projects allowed in Fast Track process.
- Type of Construction Viewer (GIS Application)
- Building and Fire Plan Reviewer Contact Information
- Checklist for Minimum Plan Submissions
- Code Interpretations, Modifications & Appeals
- Design Professional License Look-up
- Historic Preservation
- Places of Worship and Nonprofit Organizations
- Universal Design