Fairfax County is committed to maintaining the quality of our natural environment. As a result, there are regulations which address the clearing of land, the dumping of fill dirt and debris such as stumps and trash, and the erosion of soil.
- Clearing of areas greater than 2,500 square feet or cut and fill in depths of 18 inches and greater requires a permit.
- Clearing of even small areas within a flood plain requires a permit or letter of permission.
Visit Online Building and Land Development Information to find permit information on a particular address or area.
- The activity is occurring before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. or on weekends.
- No company name appears on the construction vehicles or equipment.
- Construction activity is occurring on a site with no advertising sign.
- Land is being cleared without surveyor's flagging on trees.
- There is no construction entrance adjacent to the roadway (an area of large stone and gravel placed to keep mud off of streets).
If you observe illegal activities, you should report it to the appropriate agency during normal business hours.
|Illegal land clearing and tree removal||Code Enforcement Branch||703-324-1300, TTY 711||online|
|Trees that are a public hazard||Urban Forest Management Division||703-324-1770, TTY 711|
|Tree problems in Fairfax County parks||Fairfax County Park Authority||703-324-8594, TTY 703-324-3988|
|Tree problems adjacent to public roads and streets||Virginia Department of Transportation||703-383-8368, TTY 711|
|Soil eroding onto adjacent land||Site Development and Inspection Division||703-324-7470, TTY 711||online|
|Soil eroding into streams and bodies of water||Site Development and Inspection Division||703-324-7470, TTY 711||online|
|Soil erosion on private property (non-construction sites)||Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District||703-324-1460, TTY 711|
|Illegal filling or soil removal activities||Code Enforcement Branch||703-324-1300, TTY 711|
|Illegal dumping of debris that may cause health hazards||Health Department||703-246-2300, TTY 703-591-6435|
|Illegal dumping of hazardous waste into storm drains, streams, etc.||Fire Marshal||703-246-4386, TTY 703-335-4419|
|Dust problems||Site Development and Inspection Division||703-324-7470, TTY 711||online|
|Mud on streets from construction||Site Development and Inspection Division||703-324-7470, TTY 711||online|
|Noise problems between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.||Department of Code Compliance||703-324-1300, TTY 711||online|