The Volunteers in Sheriff's Office Relations (VISOR) program gives county residents an opportunity to serve in an unpaid, non-uniformed position to augment Sheriff's Office personnel. This is an exciting opportunity to become part of an outstanding public service organization that serves the residents of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax and the towns of Herndon and Vienna.
If you would like to become a member of the VISOR program, you must apply through Fairfax County's Volunteer Management System (VMS). First, register in VMS and create your volunteer profile. Then you will be ready to log in and apply!
- Data entry, filing, copying
- Computer tasks
- Office support
- Role-playing in training activities at the Criminal Justice Academy
- At least 21 years of age (no maximum age limit)
- Valid Virginia driver's license
- Good physical health
- Pass a thorough background investigation
- Pass an interview with program coordinator and Sheriff's Office supervisors
The program coordinator will determine the selection and appointment of VISOR personnel.
VISOR personnel will be assigned to areas according to their skills and experience and will be used at the discretion of the Sheriff's Office. Once assigned, VISOR personnel must perform 10 hours of volunteer service per quarter to equal 40 hours per year.