Healthy Minds Fairfax

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F
703-324-7938 TTY 711
12011 Government Center Parkway - Pennino Building
Fairfax, VA 22035
Janet Bessmer, CSA Program Manager
Peter Steinberg, Healthy Minds Fairfax Program Manager

Department Resources

Related Resources

What kinds of professionals help with mental health and substance abuse services?

These types of professionals work with young people on mental health and substance abuse issues:

Child and adolescent psychiatrist

A child and adolescent psychiatrist is a medical doctor with specialized training both in adult psychiatry and psychiatric diagnosis and treatment in young people.

Licensed clinical psychologist

A licensed clinical psychologist has a Ph.D. or a Psy.D. as well as supervised clinical experience evaluating and treating children and youth with mental illness.


Neuropsychologists specialize in the functioning of the brain and how it relates to behavior and cognitive ability. Your child might be referred to a neuropsychologist for an assessment if your concerns include issues of focus, attention, problem-solving, or learning.

School psychologist

School psychologists can diagnose mental health disorders, but more frequently a school psychologist will serve as a source of information from school reports and perhaps as a coordinator for a larger intervention team for your child.

School Social Worker

School Social Worker has the knowledge, skills, and abilities that are fundamental to social work practice as well as specific training related to providing social work services in an educational setting.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker

A Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) is often one of the first people a child will see if he is having difficulty in school or is referred to a mental health facility. Licensed clinical social workers are extensively trained to assess the needs of a child and his family needs, diagnose psychiatric problems and develop a treatment plan with the family.

Licensed Professional Counselor

Licensed professional counselors (LPC) are doctoral and master's-level mental health service providers trained to work with individuals, families and groups in treating mental, behavioral and emotional problems and disorders.

Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist

Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists are mental health specialists who treat and diagnose a host of disorders related to psychotherapy and mental health.

Board-Certified Behavior Analyst

A board-certified behavior analyst (BCBA) is responsible for creating plans to help children, teens and adults with behavioral issues, mental health issues and/or developmental disabilities.

Developmental and behavioral pediatrician

A developmental and behavioral pediatrician is a pediatrician who has completed additional training in evaluating and treating developmental and behavioral problems.

Additional types of providers

  • Mental health specialists – including psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers or mental health counselors.
  • Community mental health centers like the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board.
  • Private clinics and facilities.
  • Health maintenance organizations.
  • Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics.
  • Mental health programs at universities or medical schools.
  • State hospital outpatient clinics.
  • Peer support groups.
  • Clergy, family services, or social agencies.
  • Employee assistance programs.
  • Local medical and/or psychiatric societies.
  • You can also find help by looking in the phone book under “mental health,” “health,” “hotlines,” “physicians,” or “social services” to obtain phone numbers and addresses. An emergency room physician can also provide temporary help and may be able to tell you how and where to find further assistance.




Fairfax Virtual Assistant