This information is the most common for how to obtain the necessary approval for your project and is not representative of all the conditions you may encounter.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Contractors with a valid Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) Class “C” license, or contractors exempt from state licensing based on a contractual amount of less than $1,000.
Before submitting, ensure you are aware of all applicable regulations and conditions that could affect your project to avoid surprises during the review process. Some of those factors include:
- Contractor requirements in Fairfax County: Various licenses and other requirements must be met to legally operate as a contractor in Fairfax County.
- Design Codes and Standards
- Do I need to hire a Registered Design Professional (RDP)?
To get a detailed description about each regulation and condition, visit our Plan Ahead page.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY RECORD?
Apply for your Home Improvement Contractor License online in PLUS under the Building tab. If you are a first-time user, you must first register for an account.
Instructional Videos for PLUS
The following items may be required with your HIC license application:
- Record contacts must include:
- Applicant – individual applying for the license
- Bond agent – supplying the surety bond described below
- Business – company the individual is affiliated with
- Two business references – customers who the applicant has worked for in the past
- Virginia Contractors license number issued by the (DPOR), if applicable
- Fairfax County Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) number
- Your standard contract template
- Financial statement documenting business income from the past year
- Surety bonds
- Contracts under $1,000 must have $5,000 surety bond
- Contracts over $1,000 must have a $10,000 surety bond
- Upload a copy of the surety bond in PLUS and mail or deliver the original to:
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 334
Fairfax, VA 22035
HIC licenses are valid for one to two years, depending on the length of the bond. To renew, log into PLUS and select “renewal” next to your HIC license number and follow the prompts. Renewals will require an updated surety bond and annual fee.
County Review and License Issuance
Staff from Land Development Services will review the application and attached documents. Once the HIC application has been accepted and original surety bond has been received, the applicant will receive an invoice to make a payment online. The license will be available to download from PLUS.