Reporting sexual abuse or sexual harassment allegations
Inmates are encouraged to report any allegations of sexual abuse or sexual harassment to a Fairfax County Sheriff's Office employee. If inmates do not feel comfortable making a report to an employee, they may have a friend or family member report the allegation on the inmate’s behalf.
If you have information regarding an inmate who has been the victim of sexual abuse or sexual harassment while in Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office custody, please call the PREA Coordinator at 703-246-2397 or email SHF-PREA@fairfaxcounty.gov. We check messages every day, seven days a week. You do not have to give your name, and you may remain anonymous, but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible, including:
- The name(s) and locations of inmate(s) involved
- The names(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident(s)
- A brief description of the incident(s)
- A brief description of where the incident(s) occurred
- The date(s), time(s) and place(s) of incident(s)
- Names and contact information of others who may have additional information about the incident(s)
- Your contact phone number and address (optional)
An investigation may result from the information we receive. Inmates are encouraged to make these allegations in good faith. Inmates making false allegations of sexual assault and misconduct will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including criminal prosecution.
Note: The phone number and email should be used to address issues related to sexual abuse or sexual harassment and not routine institutional operations.