Healthy Families Fairfax is for expectant parents or families with a newborn who want help to be the best parents possible.
- Healthy Families is a free and voluntary program.
- A family support worker will visit you in your home on a regular basis before your child is born and continue to work with you until your child is ready for preschool or kindergarten.
- All our services are free, private and confidential.
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 703-324-7720, TTY 711.
* Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. To request reasonable accommodations or to receive this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-7500 or TTY 711.
1 – Prepare for the birth of your child
- Prenatal care.
- Labor and delivery.
- Bonding and attachment.
2 – Promote your baby’s health and well-being
- Newborn care.
- Nutrition and exercise.
- Immunizations and well care checkups.
3 – Grow in your role as your baby’s first teacher
- Baby’s developmental stages.
- Reading baby’s cues and communicating with your child.
- Activities to prepare your child for school.
4 – Learn useful parenting strategies
- Bedtime and feeding routines.
- Positive discipline techniques.
- How to soothe your baby.
5 – Connect to community resources
- Playgroups and parent networks.
- Child care, health and social service providers.
- Therapists and care for children with special needs.
- Housing, education, employment and financial counselors.
- Make regular home visits before your child is born and continue until your child is ready for preschool or kindergarten.
- Help answer any questions you have about pregnancy and the best ways to make sure your baby’s birth is healthy.
- Teach problem-solving skills you can use during different stages of your child’s growth.
- Bring fun and creative activities you and your baby can do together.
- Observe and track your baby’s progress during different stages of early life to help prevent any possible health or learning problems.
Our program is nationally accredited by Healthy Families America® as a provider of highest quality home visitation services. Staff are certified in the use of a nationally recognized curriculum, Parents As Teachers.
Healthy Families Fairfax is a unique public-private partnership that includes two government and two nonprofit partners:
- Fairfax County Department of Family Services.
- Fairfax County Health Department.
- Northern Virginia Family Service.
- United Community Ministries.
Download the Healthy Families Fairfax, Preparing for Parenthood flyer.*
*Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. To request reasonable accommodations or to receive this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-7720 or TTY 711.