Preparing for Parenthood Throughout Pregnancy and Your Baby's First Years
Healthy Families Fairfax is for expectant parents or families with a newborn who want help to be the best parents possible.
- Healthy Families is a FREE and voluntary program.
- A family support worker and a nurse visit you in your home on a regular basis before your child is born and continue to work with you until your child is ready for preschool or kindergarten.
- All our services are free, private and confidential.
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 703-246-8450, TTY 711
5 Steps to Building a Brighter Future for You and Your Baby:
1 – Prepare for the birth of your child
- Prenatal care.
- Labor and delivery.
- Bonding and attachment.
2 – Promote your baby’s health and well-being
- Newborn care.
- Nutrition and exercise.
- Immunizations and well care checkups.
3 – Grow in your role as your baby’s first teacher
- Baby’s developmental stages.
- Reading baby’s cues and communicating with your child.
- Activities to prepare your child for school.
4 – Learn useful parenting strategies
- Bedtime and feeding routines.
- Positive discipline techniques.
- How to soothe your baby.
5 – Connect to community resources
- Playgroups and parent networks.
- Child care, health and social service providers.
- Therapists and care for children with special needs.
- Housing, education, employment and financial counselors.
Your Family Support Worker and Nurse Will:
- Make regular home visits before your child is born and continue until your child is ready for preschool or kindergarten.
- Help answer any questions you have about pregnancy and the best ways to make sure your baby’s birth is healthy.
- Teach problem-solving skills you can use during different stages of your child’s growth.
- Bring fun and creative activities you and your baby can do together.
- Observe and track your baby’s progress during different stages of early life to help prevent any possible health or learning problems.
Our program is nationally accredited by Healthy Families America® as a provider of highest quality home visitation services. Staff are certified in the use of a nationally recognized curriculum, Parents As Teachers.
Healthy Families Fairfax is a unique public-private partnership that includes two government and two nonprofit partners:
- Fairfax County Department of Family Services.
- Fairfax County Health Department.
- Northern Virginia Family Service.
- United Community Ministries.
Get this information as a pdf flyer: