The Fairfax Area Disability Services Board is made up of 15 volunteers appointed by elected officials of Fairfax County, City of Falls Church, and the City of Fairfax to represent and advocate for people with physical and sensory disabilities.
The Fairfax Area Disability Services Board works to include people with physical and sensory disabilities into mainstream community life. Our activities on behalf of people with physical and sensory disabilities include:
- Informing and educating people about disability policy and barriers to community mainstreaming.
- Advising elective bodies on issues and policies including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Assessing local services and service needs for state and local government.
- Catalyzing the development of public and private funding for services.
- Monitoring compliance with federal, state, and local disability law.
- Developing and supporting linkages to improve service coordination and the array of services.
- Advocating for the rights of people with disabilities.
As your representatives, we need to hear from you. Consider the following:
The Fairfax Area Disability Services Board values community input. Each meeting begins with an open comment period, and the board welcomes suggestions from the public on how to make the Fairfax area a better place for people with disabilities.
Meetings are generally held on the second Monday of the month from 7-9 p.m. in Conference Rooms 9/10 at the Fairfax County Government Center. Scheduled 2017 meetings will be held in February, March, May, June, September, November and December. Board meetings are subject to change, so contact the board or visit Fairfax County’s Public Meetings Calendar for the most up-to-date meeting information.
The Fairfax County Government Center is conveniently located in close proximity to I-66 and Route 50. If you are using public transportation, use Fairfax Connector bus #621, 622, or 623 and Connector bus #605 Fair Oaks - Reston Line. For public transportation information, call 703-339-7200. For Metrorail or Metrobus connections with the Connector buses, call 202-637-7000.
Join a committee! The Fairfax Area Disability Services Board has committees on transportation, housing, employment, emergency preparedness, and more. For more information about joining a committee, call 703-324-5874 or email the Fairfax Area Disability Services Board.
Leeann Alberts, Chair (At-large)
Tapan Banerjee (Dranesville)
Tom Bash (At-large)
Michael Beattie (At-large)
Michele "Cookie" Hymer Blitz (Hunter Mill)
Linda Collins (Braddock)
Dr. Ayman Eldarwish (Mason)
Mark Farage, Vice Chair (City of Fairfax)
Chester Freedenthal (Lee)
Deborah Hammer (Mount Vernon)
Mary Pauline Jones (Springfield)
Tim Lavelle (At-large)