Transportation Status Report and Interactive Map
Interactive Map Tool
Updated: March 2017
The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) prepares its biannual report to the Board of Supervisors on transportation projects and activities within the county. The report includes updates on all active projects, including those projects in the Third Four-Year Transportation Program for FY2013 through FY2016 and the Board approved Transportation Project Priorities (TPP) for FY2015 through FY2020. The report has a new title, "Fairfax County Transportation Status Report," replacing the previous title, "Status Report on the Board's Third Four-Year Transportation Program." Since the report covers projects and activities beyond the Four-Year Program, the new name more accurately reflects the contents of the report.
- Fairfax County Transportation Status Report (PDF) - Updated September 2017
- Interactive Map Tool - Updated March 2017
Helpful Tips: Reviewing the Status Report
- The project status report is organized by District. Within each District the projects are listed in alphabetical order
- Roads that are more commonly recognized by their route number are listed by Route #. For example, projects involving Leesburg Pike are labeled as Route 7 and would be found in the "Rs"
- Interstate projects will be found in the "Is" These include: I-66, I-95, I-395, I-495
Each project is identified by type in the bottom left corner as one
of the following:
- INT = Interstate Project PRI = Primary Road (Rte. 1- 599)
- SEC = Secondary Road (Rte. 600+)
- TRAN = Transit Project
- PED/BIKE = Pedestrian and/or Bicycle Project
- When searching for a project in the electronic document use "Ctrl+F" to open the Find tool. You can use this tool to search for a project using information you know. For example, you could use the tool to search for all pedestrian and/or bicycle projects by pressing "Ctrl+F" and typing in "ped/bike" This will allow you to find all pedestrian and/or bicycle projects in the report regardless of the district or route number
You can also view the Project Status Report
Legend (PDF) and the Projects
organized by route number (PDF) here.
- Projects not located along a road can be found at the end of the report and are designated with route number "XXXXX"
- Interstate projects are listed after all of the projects on numbered routes because they are labeled I-66, I-95, I-395, and I-495
Helpful Tips: Using the Interactive Map Tool
The interactive map tool features all projects that are currently under development within Fairfax County that are managed by the county, VDOT, or other organizations. The projects are symbolized by their phase of development.
- Project Initiation
- Right of Way (ROW)
The map offers various features including:
- Printing: Once zoomed to a particular area the user can print out a map displaying what is in the window including POI and route information.
- Layers: Upon initial activation, the map will display the Capital Projects Layer, and a Transit Layer. Additionally, you have the option to turn on a walkways layer that will display all sidewalks and trails within the County. Any of these layers can be toggled on or off.
- Basemap: Users can change the background mapping to include open streets, imagery or a grey canvas among others. Share: Ability to share route location via, email, facebook or twitter
- Search: Users will be able to search Fairfax County addresses
We recommend using a standard Internet Web Browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari for pre-trip planning. Go directly to the map and bookmark it for future reference. Not all types of the available map features are displayed immediately. Some turn off and on based on the map extent of your current view. Others need to be turned on by the user. Be sure to go to LAYERS.