When applying for a permit, you must submit two copies (three copies if a Health Department permit is required) of plans for the review process. Plans must clearly illustrate the nature of all of the work to be performed.
- Minimum scale of 1/8 inch = 1 foot for commercial, minimum scale of 1/4 inch = 1 foot for residential
- Minimum sheet size: 21” x 30” inches for commercial, 11” x 17” for residential; no pencil.
- Plan rolls should not exceed 50 pounds; if so, you will be required to split it into multiple rolls not exceeding the 50 pounds max per roll.
- Code year used for the design.
- Name, address and occupation of the building designer.
- If prepared by a Virginia registered architect or professional engineer, the plans must bear the original signature, seal and date.
- Project name, address of the building.
- Completed Building Plan Review Cover Sheet; attach one copy to each set of drawings.
- For structural work, a completed Statement of Special Inspections; attach one copy to each set of drawings.
For additional information, see project specific information on Commercial Construction.
- Building Plan Review Cover Sheet
- Wall bracing method and worksheet. For more information, see our Wind Bracing publications.
- Insulation R-values and U-factors. See our Energy Compliance publication for specific requirements.
For additional information, see project specific information on Residential Construction.