2018 Major Accomplishments
- Launched integrated District Economic Development Team
- Created interactive Embark Richmond Highway Corridor Presentation
- Developed new website, increased and improved all communication channels
FY 2019 Budget
- Adopted balanced budget and fully funded schools
- Increased teacher and police officer funding
- Audit Committee efficiency review
- Conducted the police body camera pilot at the Mount Vernon Station
- Completed community design outreach for future South County Police Station and Animal Shelter
- Hired 17 new police officers for future station
Transportation & Land Use
- Approved Embark Comprehensive Plan Amendment, leading the way for $1B+ investment in transportation and revitalization
- Secured $389M in NVTA funding for Richmond Highway widening, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and CSX/Route 1 replacement bridge
- Partnered with Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) and FCPS to establish community college classes at OMVHS
- Began Lorton 2040 Visioning
- Transitioned new Planning Commissioner, Walter Clarke
- Implemented short term lodging ordinances
- Supported renovation schedules for Stratford Landing ES, Hollin Meadows ES, Waynewood ES, Belle View ES, Newington Forest ES and Silverbrook ES
- Oversaw closure of Waste Management CDD Landfill
- Improved trails, sidewalks and roads throughout the District
Health & Human Services (HHS)
- Established new emergency housing and increased support for victims of domestic violence
- Championed additional affordable and workforce housing
- Completed community design outreach for new Lorton Community Center
- Drove development of North Hill work force housing
- Launched Embark Housing Advisory Group
- Community School at Whitman MS
Environment and Parks
- Created District Environmental Advisory Committee
- Hosted first Environment Expo and advocated for stronger County action
- Oversaw Fairchild property storm water management design completion
- Advocated to decrease airplane noise
- Initiated County-wide refocus on natural landscaping practices on County properties
- Implemented natural landscaping at Mt. Vernon Governmental Center
Hospitality and Tourism
- Launched Workhouse Arts Center Development Team and issued RFI to initiate new Campus investments
- Initiated Tourism Task Force
- Established Cultural Cultural Arts District between Workhouse Arts Center, Town of Occoquan and Occoquan Regional Park
Actively engaged with District Residents
- Hosted or sponsored 65 events, plus countless community meetings
- Phone calls 13,900+
- Emails 30,000+
- Meetings 1,100+
2017 Major Accomplishments
- Original Mount Vernon High School open and renovation planning started.
- New Fire Marshal Office
- New School Student Registration Office
- Gymnasium open with organized youth activities
- Community Steering Committee established to drive renewal
- Police Body Camera Pilot Program approved for Mount Vernon District Station.
- One Fairfax to promote social equity launched.
- Northern Virginia Cultural Arts District established around the Workhouse Arts Center.
- Fairfax County’s 275th Anniversary celebrated.
- First lease under the Resident Curator Program for the Lorton Stempson House.
- Major new redevelopment projects started, including: Lorton’s Liberty, Huntington Club, Novus Kings Crossing and Riverside Apartments.
- Multiple transportation initiatives achieved:
- Comprehensive Plan language draft complete to enable future Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and Metrorail on the Richmond Highway Corridor
- Richmond Highway widening from Jeff Todd Way to Telegraph Road
- Lorton Road and Workhouse Way widenings completed
- District Domestic Violence Committee established to open a local shelter, while increasing awareness and support systems.
- South Flow Alliance created to advocate for and secure decreased airplane noise.
- Lorton Community Center and South County Police Station and Animal Shelter Community Steering Committees established.
- Covanta Fairfax Energy-from-Waste Facility reopened with improved safety features and an enhanced public communication plan.
- Actively engaged with District Residents
- Hosted or sponsored 50 events, plus countless community meetings
- Phone calls 12,500+
- Emails 25,000+
- Meetings 850+
Additional 2017 Accomplishments
- Remote video testifying to Board.
- Video recording and streaming of all BoS public meetings.
- New website launched.
Balanced FY 2018 Budget
- Higher school funding to support teachers.
- Increased police funding for officers.
- More community development funding.
- Police Commission recommendations continued implementation.
- Independent Police Auditor hired.
- Police body cameras pilot at the Mount Vernon District Station approved.
- New South County Police Station on schedule.
- Hire 15 net new police officers for new station (5 hired in 2017, 20 planned for FY 2019).
- Police Civilian Review Panel appointed.
- Development schedules still on track for:
- Original MVHS occupancy and development planning
- ESI Lorton CDD Landfill closing- 2018
- North Hill opening- 2019
- Richmond Hwy widening- 2025
- Embark BRT operating- 2028
- Land Use Community Council engaged.
- Major initiative to modernize zoning ordinances (zMod) launched.
- Short term rental zoning ordinance review started.
- Huntington Levee groundbreaking.
- Improved trails, sidewalks, and roads throughout the district.
- Mason Neck Trail new segment opened.
- Quander Road improvements started.
- South County High School Teen Job Fair highly successful with over attendees.
- Bucknell Elementary School renovation completed.
- Woodlawn Elementary School renovation completed.
Health & Human Services
- Increased County services in Mount Vernon District area, including local fire marshal office and new school student registration office.
- Increased support for domestic violence victims and families through local County support team.
- Enhanced senior independence, development and engagement through Senior Safety Summit.
- Renovate Fairchild property storm water management (ongoing).
- Belle View area sewer rehabilitation completed.
- Several storm water initiatives begun.
- Board Environmental Vision updated.
- Environmental Advisory Committee established.
Hospitality & Tourism
- Cultural Corridor planning underway.
- Mount Vernon Historical Society established.
2016 Major Accomplishments
- Built a responsive Mount Vernon District Team with new communication tools and increased outreach
- Monthly newsletter and public meeting reminders
- Board meeting updates
- Extended evening and weekend hours
- Initiated Legislative Roundtable with District elected representatives
- Initiated District County Boards, Authorities and Commissions appointees' Guidance and Expectations and annual meeting
- Approved FY 2017 Balanced Budget, fully funding schools
- Increased Police communications, transparency and civilian oversight
- Initiated spot improvements for District roads and trails
- Human Services Bond passed funding Lorton Community Center and Kennedy Homeless Shelter renovation
- Actively engaged with District Residents
- Hosted or sponsored 40 events, plus countless community meetings
- Phone calls 6,800+
- Emails 18,500+
- Meetings 700+
- Launched the Inaugural Tour de Mount Vernon – a 50 mile bike ride through the District