The Mount Vernon District is located in southeastern Fairfax County. It is bounded by the Capital Beltway and City of Alexandria to the north, the Potomac River to the east, the Occoquan River to the south and Huntley Meadows Park to the west. Representing a population of over 132,000 within 60 square miles, it includes the Census Designated Places (CDPs) of Belle Haven, New Alexandria, Huntington, Groveton, Hybla Valley, Fort Hunt, Mount Vernon, Fort Belvoir, Mason Neck, Lorton, and Newington, Virginia.
As our historic community pivots to the 21st century with an emphasis on revitalization along the Richmond Highway Corridor, our priorities will remain steadfast. We will retain our historic identity, focusing on education, transportation, land use and public safety, while continuing to create a diverse and healthy environment for all Mount Vernon residents, businesses and travelers, alike.
- There are an estimated 132,961 individuals living in the Mount Vernon District as of 2021. Forecasts show that number increasing to about 150,812 by 2050.
- The median age of residents is 36.8.
- 31% of residents, age 5 and older, speak a language other than English at home.
- 51.7% of residents are female, and 48.3% of residents are male.
- The average family size is 3.44.
- Of the 89,056 residents age 25 and older: 83,412 (94%) have attained a High School Diploma, GED, or higher.
- Of the 101,925 residents age 16 and older: 70,244 (69%) are employed, 3275 (3%) are unemployed, and 28,406 (28%) are not in the work force.
- Of the 47,147 households: 25,884 (54.9%) make over $100,000, and 9,149 (19.5%) make under $50,000.
- Out of 132,961 residents, 8,725 (7%) live under federal poverty levels.
- $544,042 is the overall median market value of owned housing.
- 1479 square feet is the median size of owned housing.
- $56,262 is the annual income needed to rent the average market rate one bedroom apartment unit.
- Of the 49,547 housing units in the Mount Vernon District: 23,300 (47%) are single family detached units, 1,145 (2%) are duplexes, 9,723 (20%) are townhouses, 1,367 (3%) are multiplex units, 9,107 (18%) are multifamily low-rise units, 643 (1%) are multifamily mid-rise units, 3,937 (8%) are multifamily high-rise units and 325 (less than 1%) are mobile homes.
- 2016 Demographic Characteristics for the Mount Vernon District
- 2010 Census Data by Magisterial District
- District Map
- County Map by District
- Fort Hunt Park
- Mason Neck State Park
- Pohick Regional Park
- Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge
Mount Vernon Farmers Market
Wednesdays 8 am - Noon
April - December
Sherwood Regional Library
Lorton Farmers Market
Sundays 9 am - 1 pm
May - October
Lorton VRE Parking Lot