The Mount Vernon District is located in southeastern Fairfax County. It is bounded by the Capital Beltway and City of Alexandria to the north, the Potomac River to the east, the Occoquan River to the south and Huntley Meadows Park to the west. Representing a population of over 128,000 within 60 square miles, it includes the Census Designated Places (CDPs) of Belle Haven, New Alexandria, Huntington, Groveton, Hybla Valley, Fort Hunt, Mount Vernon, Fort Belvoir, Mason Neck, Lorton, and Newington, Virginia.
As our historic community pivots to the 21st century with an emphasis on revitalization along the Richmond Highway Corridor, our priorities will remain steadfast. We will retain our historic identity, focusing on education, transportation, land use and public safety, while continuing to create a diverse and healthy environment for all Mount Vernon residents, businesses and travelers, alike.
- There are an estimated 131,018 individuals living in the Mount Vernon District as of 2018. Forecasts show that number increasing to about 153,947 by 2045.
- The average age of residents is 37.1.
- 30.9% of residents, age 5 and older, speak a language other than English at home.
- 50.3% of residents are female, and 49.7% of residents are male.
- The average family size is 3.23.
- Of the 85,620 residents age 25 and older: 78,000 (91%) have attained a High School Diploma, GED, or higher.
- Of the 98,772 residents age 16 and older: 70,242 (71%) are employed, 3,289 (3%) are unemployed, and 25,241 (26%) are not in the work force.
- Of the 47,149 households: 24,211 (51%) make over $100,000, and 9,357 (20%) make under $50,000.
- Out of 128,462 residents, 19,398 (15%) live under federal poverty levels.
- $452,277 is the overall median market value of owned housing.
- 1479 square feet is the median size of owned housing.
- $56,262 is the annual income needed to rent the average market rate one bedroom apartment unit.
- Of the 48,712 housing units in the Mount Vernon District: 23,138 (47%) are single family detached units, 1,144 (2%) are duplexes, 9,471 (19%) are townhouses, 1,367 (3%) are multiplex units, 8,967 (18%) are multifamily low-rise units, 360 (less than 1%) are multifamily mid-rise units, 3,940 (8%) are multifamily high-rise units and 325 (less than 1%) are mobile homes.
- 2016 Demographic Characteristics for the Mount Vernon District
- 2010 Census Data by Magisterial District
- District Map
- County Map by District
- Fort Hunt Park
- Mason Neck State Park
- Pohick Regional Park
- Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge
Mount Vernon Farmers Market
Wednesdays 8 am - Noon
May - November
Sherwood Regional Library
Lorton Farmers Market
Sundays 9 am - 1 pm
May - October
Lorton VRE Parking Lot