Institute for Early Learning (IFEL) - Frequently Asked Questions
Scroll down to view frequently asked questions for:
What is IFEL Online?
IFEL Online offers 24-hour access to the Office for Children, Institute for Early Learning, training database for Fairfax County early childhood educators.
Using IFEL Online, you may:
- Update your personal information including your email address, home address and phone number.
- Check class availability.
- Enroll in IFEL classes and Family Child Care Business Workshops.
- View your current course enrollment or waitlist status.
- Cancel from a training class in which you are enrolled or on the waitlist. Please cancel at least one day before the course begins.
- View your history of training classes.
Is IFEL Online the easiest way to register for training classes?
- IFEL Online is the easiest, fastest and most convenient way to register for classes. IFEL Online is available 24 hours per day, seven days of the week, year-round. You can register for classes through IFEL Online using any technology device that has Internet access.
- When you register using IFEL Online, you can see which classes have space to enroll, which classes are accepting names on the waitlist, and which classes are closed. If a class shows as closed, it means no more registrations are being accepted. It does NOT mean that the class is cancelled.
- As soon as you enroll in a class or have your name put on the waitlist for a class, you will receive an email confirmation of your class status as long as your IFEL Online account includes your correct email address.
How can I view the classes that are offered?
- The Friday before registration is available each month, a course list will be sent, via email, to everyone with a correct email address in the training database.
- View the current course list.
Is my personal information secure?
Your contact information and training history will not be disclosed to anyone outside the Office for Children without your permission. You have the right to see and edit any personal information you have provided to IFEL Online.
In how many classes may I enroll or be on the waitlist?
- Early childhood educators working in center-based programs may enroll in or be on the waitlist for six Institute for Early Learning classes each calendar year (January - December).
- Early childhood educators working in family child care homes may enroll in or be on the waitlist for six Institute for Early Learning classes plus six Family Child Care Business Workshops each calendar year (January – December).
I work in a center-based program and want to attend a class with my co-workers. How many people may enroll from the same program?
- Up to five individuals from the same program may enroll in the same course.
- If more than five educators from the same center-based program wish to enroll in the same course, please contact by email or call or 703-324-3044.
How do I register online?
You will need a Registration Identification number and Personal Identification Number (PIN), to use IFEL Online. To receive a Registration ID number and PIN, please send an email or call or 703-324-3044 for assistance.
Once you have your Registration ID number and PIN, you will be able to register for classes using IFEL Online.
To register online go to the IFEL Registration page.
- Enter your Registration ID number and your PIN in the appropriate places.
- Click "Log In."
- Click “Enroll” in the row of tabs above the welcome message and the list of current classes will be displayed.
- Click “Select” to see the Course Details page.
- If the class is available, click on “Enroll” or “Waitlist.”
- Click “Back” to return to the class list or “IFEL Home” to return to your training page.
How do I register using the automated telephone registration system?
Make a list of the course numbers you would like to attend. Call 703-324-4018 from any touch-tone phone. The recorded voice will provide information before you begin the registration process.
- Listen to the options carefully and completely.
- Press 2 to enroll in training.
- Enter your Registration ID number and press the # key. If your ID number has less than four digits, please call the office for instructions at 703-324-3044.
- When the system asks for your PIN number, enter your PIN (personal identification number). (Do not press the # key after entering your PIN.)
- Follow the directions to enroll.
Why can’t I log in to my IFEL Online account?
- You may have entered your Registration ID number or your PIN incorrectly. Check to make sure you have entered each of them correctly.
- You may have forgotten your Registration ID number and/or PIN. If so, go to the IFEL Online - Forgot Registration ID or Pin page. Then, click the line “Forgot your Registration ID or PIN?” You will be prompted to enter the email address that you use to register. Enter your email address and click “Submit.” If your email address matches the email address that is on file in the IFEL Online database, your registration number and PIN will be sent to you via email messages. You may also retrieve your ID and PIN numbers by sending an email or by calling 703-324-3044.
- If you need further assistance, please call 703-324-3044 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, to speak with the registrar.
Why do I need an email address?
- You need an email address in IFEL Online to receive immediate confirmation or cancellation of course enrollment as well as to recover a forgotten Registration ID number or PIN. By providing your email address, you will also receive email notification when new training information is available.
- Using email allows communication between you and the Institute for Early Learning at a time that is convenient for you rather than receiving phone calls when you are working with the children in your care.
How do I change my email address in IFEL Online?
- After you log in to IFEL Online, click "Contact Information."
- Please type your new email address into the “E-mail” area.
- Click “Save.” You should receive a message on the screen indicating “Update successful.”
- Click "IFEL Home" and resume your next task.
What if I don't have an email address?
There are many Internet service providers that offer free email services. Feel free to set up a personal email account with the email service of your choice. After you set up an email account, please enter your information in your IFEL Online contact information or call 703-324-3044 to have the registrar enter it into the IFEL Online system.
May I share an email account with my co-workers?
Please refrain from sharing an email account with someone else. Your email address must be unique to ensure account security. Please use an email address that is unique to you.
I forgot my email address. How do I get it?
If you cannot remember which email address you used for IFEL Online, please call 703-324-3044 for assistance.
I cannot find or did not receive a Registration ID number. What should I do?
- If you have never used IFEL Online or if you need further assistance, please send an email or call 703-324-3044.
I forgot my Registration ID number. How do I get it?
- Go to the IFEL Online - Forgot Registration ID or Pin page to retrieve your registration number. You will be prompted to enter the email address that you use for IFEL Online.
I forgot my PIN number. How do I get it?
- Go to the IFEL Online - Forgot Registration ID or Pin page to retrieve your PIN number. You will be prompted to enter the email address that you used for IFEL Online.
How do I change my PIN number?
- After you login, click "Change PIN."
- Please type a new PIN number into the “New PIN” area.
- Type the same PIN number in the "Verify New PIN" area. Please remember, your PIN must contain only four numbers (you cannot use letters or symbols in your PIN). Also, please make sure the first digit (number) of your PIN is not the number zero. PIN numbers should always start with a number between 1 and 9.
- Click “Save.” You should receive this message on the screen: “Update successful.”
- Click "IFEL Home" or another button from the choices offered on the screen when you are finished.
How do I enroll in a training class?
- After you log in, click the "Enroll "button on the screen above the welcome message. The list of current classes will display.
- Click the “Select” button beside the course title. A more detailed description of the course will appear on your screen.
- Click "Enroll" if the class is still available and you wish to enroll.
- If the course is full, you may click “Waitlist” to be added to the list of people waiting to enroll in the class.
- If the class is closed, you will not see the “Enroll” or “Waitlist” buttons on your screen.
- Click “back” or IFEL Home” to return to your training page.
- If you have an accurate email address in your IFEL Online account, you will receive an email confirmation of your enrollment or waitlist status.
I want to enroll in a course but the button says "Waitlist." What does this mean?
- By clicking "Waitlist," you can add your name to the list of people waiting to enroll in the class. If you have an email address, you will receive an email confirmation that your name has been added to the waitlist for the class.
- Once your name is placed on the waitlist, you are not enrolled and should not attend the class unless you are contacted by the registrar. If space becomes available for a class in which you are on the waitlist, the registrar will notify you by email or phone before the first day of the class to let you know that space is available and to ask if you want to enroll. If you would like to check the waitlist status to see if you can become enrolled in a course, please send an email or call us at 703-324-3044.
- If you were not able to be moved from the Waitlist to Enrolled status for a course, your waitlist status will be changed to canceled when the course is complete. That way, you will be able to enroll in or place your name on the waitlist for another class (up to the amount of classes allowed per year).
I want to cancel from a class in which I am enrolled. What do I do?
You can cancel from a course until the day before the course starts. If you wish to cancel on the day the course starts, you can only cancel by emailing the office or calling 703-324-3044.
NOTE: It is very important to cancel from a course if you cannot attend so that the course is not counted as one of your total courses for the year.
To cancel via IFEL Online, please follow these steps.
- After you log in, go to “IFEL Home.”
- You will see a list of classes in which you are currently enrolled or on the waitlist.
- Click on the course that you wish to cancel. Click “Cancel Enrollment.”
- You will see the message “Your enrollment has been successfully canceled.”
- If you have an accurate email address in your IFEL Online account, you will receive an email notification that your enrollment has been canceled for the class.
- If you would prefer to cancel from a course by email, please send an email. To cancel from a course by phone, please call us at 703-324-3044.
I want to cancel from a class in which I am on the Waitlist. What do I do?
- After you log in, go to “IFEL Home.”
- You will see a list of classes in which you are currently enrolled or on the waitlist.
- Click on the course that you wish to cancel from the waitlist.
- Click “Cancel Enrollment.”
- You will see the message “You have been successfully canceled from the waitlist.” If you have an accurate email address in your IFEL Online account, you will receive an e-mail notification that your waitlist status has been canceled for the class.
I used to get a confirmation letter in the mail for classes in which I enrolled. Do I get this anymore?
If you have an accurate email address in your IFEL Online account, you will receive all communication from IFEL Online via email. You will no longer receive paper copies of confirmation letters in the mail. Please check your email regularly for messages regarding the status of enrollment in classes. Please also make sure that your email address in IFEL Online is accurate and kept up-to-date if you change it.
I want to see the list of classes that I have already attended. How do I do this?
- After you log in, click the “History” button on the IFEL Online screen.
- A list of all classes in which you have been enrolled, waitlisted or canceled will appear. You cannot change anything on this screen.
- To go back to another screen, click “IFEL Home” or select another button from the choices offered on the screen.
I do not know how to find the place where my class will be held. Where can I find directions?
- The description for each course contains the location for the training.
- Addresses for course locations are also indicated on the course list.