Therapeutic Recreation Services provides opportunities for children and adults with disabilities to develop the skills that enable them to participate in the recreation and leisure programs of their choice.
Staff is committed to providing services, education and resources to meet the needs of participants and assist them on the road toward lifelong participation and enjoyment in recreation and leisure activities. Staff also provides support and advocacy to individuals who wish to participate in general recreation activities.
Program Status Update
TRS is hosting a variety of virtual programs for individuals with disabilities, at no cost, using a Zoom platform. Programs are available for preschoolers, school-age individuals as well as adults and offer a variety of social, cognitive and physical activities for all ability levels:
- Tone It Up Tuesday: A virtual fitness program that gives adults with disabilities the chance to engage in a wide array of fitness and movement activities. Register: https://bit.ly/NCSTIUT.
- Preschool Learn & Play: These 25-minute interactive sessions are designed for children ages 2-5 with or without delays/disabilities, with a parent/caregiver available to co-lead. Register: https://bit.ly/PSLearnPlay.
- Youth Social: A social program for school-age participants with disabilities (ages 6-21) full of fun and friends! Register: https://bit.ly/NCSYouthSocial .
- Adult Social Clubs: A virtual version of our traditional social clubs where adults with disabilities can socialize, have fun and expand their leisure horizons! To register, contact NCS-TRACERS@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Other Virtual Activities
- Virtual Center for Active Adults: Offers 15+ live facilitated activities a day along with a variety of on-demand programs and resources for older adults and adults with disabilities.
- NCS Connects: NCS’s virtual resource for youth, teens, parents and guardians offers a variety of live and on-demand programming focused on health and wellness, STEAM, academics, culture and adapted virtual learning.
While some county facilities begin to re-open, all TRS in-person programs remain cancelled until further notice. TRS staff is still working and available to assist you. Staff can be reached at 703-324-5532 or NCS-TRACERS@fairfaxcounty.gov.