Therapeutic Recreation Services provides opportunities for children and adults with disabilities to develop the skills that enable them to participate in the recreation and leisure programs of their choice.
Staff is committed to providing services, education and resources to meet the needs of participants and assist them on the road toward lifelong participation and enjoyment in recreation and leisure activities. Staff also provides support and advocacy to individuals who wish to participate in general recreation activities.
Program Status Update
Interested in learning more about TR Summer Camp? Join us March 18, 2022 for an in-person open house. We welcome you and your family to join us to learn more about TRS summer camp programs. We invite you to stay and take part in a variety of family-friendly activities that will be offered at the community center.
TRS will be offering in-person Summer Camp! The summer will be packed full of FUN! Including art activities, sensory play, games, sports, and music activities. All programming is designed to meet the different interests and abilities of the campers.
All camp sites are open to residents of Fairfax County, the City of Falls Church and the City of Fairfax with developmental disabilities, intellectual disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, physical disabilities, emotional disabilities, learning disabilities, and/or attention deficit disorders. Camp sites are structured to provide support to campers of varying abilities and disabilities, as each site will have a variety of staff-to-participant ratios available to meet the different needs of campers. Ratios range from 1:2 to 1:5 at each site.
Adult Social Clubs continue in-person programming once a month at various community locations and the wheelchair basketball team continues to practice weekly at James Lee Community Center.
TRS staff is available to answer any questions you may have and can be reached at 703-324-5532 or NCS-TRACERS@fairfaxcounty.gov.
TRS is hosting a variety of virtual programs for individuals with disabilities, at no cost, using a Zoom platform. Programs are available for preschoolers, school-age individuals as well as adults and offer a variety of social, cognitive and physical activities for all ability levels:
- Mix It Up Mondays: A virtual program where adults with disabilities ages 18+ participate in a variety of activities focused on socialization, fitness, cognitive games, dancing and more!
- Sunday Bites: Family Edition: A monthly virtual cooking class the whole family can enjoy! Focuses on light meal and snack assembly using common household kitchen items.
- Preschool Learn & Play: These 25-minute interactive sessions are designed for children ages 2-5 with or without delays/disabilities, with a parent/caregiver available to co-lead. Register: https://bit.ly/PSLearnPlay
- Virtual Dance Clubs : Let's DANCE! Come join TRS on Thursday evenings for a monthly virtual Dance Club! Participants will socialize, show off their moves, and more. Open to individuals 18+.
- Virtual Social Clubs: Come and spend Saturdays with your adult social club friends...VIRTUALLY! Members will enjoy socializing with friends and a wide variety of activities. You won't want to miss the fun!
Other Virtual Activities
- Virtual Center for Active Adults: Offers 15+ live facilitated activities a day along with a variety of on-demand programs and resources for older adults and adults with disabilities.
- NCS Connects: NCS’s virtual resource for youth, teens, parents and guardians offers a variety of live and on-demand programming focused on health and wellness, STEAM, academics, culture and adapted virtual learning.