Land Development Services (LDS) Inspections
- Schedule, Change or Cancel an Inspection online or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- Check Inspection Status: by permit | by address
- Scheduling use permits (certificates of occupancy):
- Residential (RUPs): call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- Non-residential (nonRUPs): call 703-222-1082, TTY 711.
After-Hour Electrical Inspections are available at additional cost and can be requested by filling out this online form at least 48 hours prior to the inspection date. If you have questions, call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
Commercial Third Party Inspections Program is available for most commercial inspections. Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
Cross connection inspections are performed periodically on all commercial properties. For more information, use the Backflow Notice of Inspection form, see the list of Backflow Prevention Device Testers, or to find out when your inspection is due, reference the Transition Matrix. Email staff or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711, with any questions.
Elevator and escalator inspections must be inspected twice a year. More information on the Elevator Program.
Residential third party inspections are available to pre-approved registered design professionals in-lieu of a county inspector. To submit a request, complete the online form. If you have questions, call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
The Special Inspections Program requires owners of qualifying projects to retain a registered design professional to conduct inspections of building elements requiring special expertise. Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
Fire Marshal's Office (FMO) Inspections
Scheduling an Inspection/Test. Acceptance inspections and tests may be scheduled as follows:
- Schedule by Telephone. Call 703-246-4821, during scheduling hours, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Schedule by Email. Please email one of the following forms Water-Based Fire Protection System (PDF) or Fire Alarm, Door Lock & Alternative Fire-Extinguishing System (PDF) to Fire.AcceptanceTesting@fairfaxcounty.gov.
- Schedule by Fax. Fax the appropriate request form to 703-246-6041. Please use one of the following acceptance inspection/test request forms:
It is the responsibility of the owner to obtain a certificate of occupancy for a building shell prior to any tenant occupancies. For Groups A (assembly), E (educational), H (high-hazard), I (institutional) or R-1 (hotels, motels), the owner must request a pre-occupancy inspection by a Fire Marshal inspector prior to applying for the certificate of occupancy (either before or after the building final inspection). To schedule a pre-occupancy inspection, contact the Fire Inspections Branch at 703-246-4849. Thereafter, a post-occupancy inspection is always required.
Additional inspections may be required by the Health Department in addition to those mentioned above. The end goal of this phase is a Certificate of Occupancy and a Residential Use Permit or a Non-Residential Use Permit.