The Sheriff’s Office offers a streamlined access procedure for attorneys recognized by the Virginia State Bar Association when entering the Fairfax County Courthouse. Such attorneys who complete an application, undergo a background check and have a picture ID card issued by the Sheriff’s Office may be allowed to bypass the security screening. There is no fee associated with this service. Any attorney who appears in the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Report will have his or her card voided in the system until he or she has returned to good standing with the Virginia State Bar Association.
- Complete and submit the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM. Please allow up to four weeks for your application form to be processed. Once you have been approved for an ID card, the Sheriff's Office will notify you at the email address you listed on the application.
- Present yourself for a photo on the date and time agreed to in the email. Appointments are scheduled for Tuesday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. You must bring with you the following items:
- Copy of the email notification from the Sheriff's Office
- Current Virginia State Bar card
- Government-issued photo ID
Replacement of ID Cards
Attorney ID cards are the property of the Fairfax County Sheriff's Office and may be revoked at any time. Please notify the Sheriff's Office immediately if your ID card is lost or stolen. ID cards are valid for no more than two years. When the ID card has expired or is nearing its expiration date, attorneys who want to obtain a new card must submit a new application.
The Fairfax County Courthouse is open to the public Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.