Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District

703-324-1460 TTY 711
12055 Government Center Parkway
Suite 905, Fairfax, VA 22035
Willie Woode
Executive Director

Flood Mitigation Assistance Program (FMAP)

Program Status: Funding is available and applications are now being accepted!

Program Overview

Funded by Fairfax County and administered by the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District, the Flood Mitigation Assistance Program (FMAP) offers applicants 50% reimbursement—up to a maximum of $5,000—for the costs of projects that protect their properties from flood damage. Projects on FMAP’s Approved List of Practices, or those approved on a case-by-case basis by the Northern Virginia Soil & Water Conservation District, are eligible for reimbursement.

FMAP is funded by Fairfax County’s Stormwater Service District | Public Works and Environmental Services.

Who May Apply

Fairfax County’s residential property owners and renters, homeowners and condominium associations, and places of worship may apply. Commercial properties are not eligible.

Renters who apply must provide proof of approval from the property owner(s).

Applicants who apply on behalf of a homeowners or condominium association or a place of worship must provide proof of approval from the board or other authority. Homeowner or condo association projects must be located on community property.

Eligibility Criteria

All work and/or purchases must be completed prior to applying.

Only expenses on or after July 1, 2024, are eligible for reimbursement.

Applicants can be reimbursed for multiple projects on their property until they reach the $5,000 limit. Applicants who own multiple properties can apply for up to $5,000 in reimbursements for each property.

The applicant must submit a complete application with all required documentation. This includes invoices or receipts itemizing the cost of materials purchased and work performed, proof of payment, and photos of the final installation. If available, photos taken before installation should also be included.

The applicant is responsible for all required approvals and permits (building, homeowners/condo association, Resource Protection Area, etc.) and must show proof that they were obtained. If work is done without them, the applicant cannot be reimbursed until the approvals or permits are received and, if applicable, inspected.

Applicants who are renters, who are installing a project on their homeowners/condo association’s community property, or who are installing a project at their place of worship must include a signed letter of approval from the property owner (e.g. landlord; HOA, condo or place or worship board). The letter must include the text of the Waiver and Hold Harmless Acknowledgement form. If the reimbursement is to go to the applicant and not the property owner, approval for this must be stated in the letter.

The applicant must agree to the terms of the Waiver and Hold Harmless Acknowledgement form.

Applicants must confirm that their project will not adversely affect neighboring properties by blocking or increasing stormwater flow.

Applicants must provide a tax identification number and an IRS Form W-9.

If funding runs out, applications will be reviewed and put on a waitlist to be reimbursed if new funding becomes available.

Eligible Flood Proofing Practices

Floodproofing practices eligible for FMAP reimbursement are found on the Approved List of Practices. Examples of items/projects from the Approved List include floodproof windows, flood gates or panels, temporary flood barriers, battery back-ups for sump pumps, utility covers, flood alert systems, portable pumps and hoses, flood-resistant building materials, modifying topography, and protecting external stairwells.

Items or projects not on the Approved List of Practices are reviewed for reimbursement on a case-by-case basis. Anyone considering an unlisted practice is encouraged to consult with the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District (NVSWCD) first. NVSWCD staff can review the applicant’s proposal and suggest revisions to increase its effectiveness. Even with this consultation, reimbursement for unlisted practices is not guaranteed.

All applicants may consult with NVSWCD for general floodproofing recommendations before purchasing or installing any practices.

Application Steps

1) Verify Residency

FMAP can only reimburse projects on properties within Fairfax County. City of Fairfax properties are not eligible. Use the Fairfax County Validator to ensure your address is within the County.

2) Review Eligibility and Prepare Documents

Review the information on this page and consult the Approved List of Practices to determine if your project is eligible for reimbursement.

Read the Waiver and Hold Harmless Acknowledgement.

Prepare the documents you will need for your application, including:

  • Photos showing the completed installation or purchased items.
  • Itemized receipts/invoices that include a detailed cost breakdown of materials and/or work.
  • Proof of payment for all expenses (cancelled check, zero balance invoice, bank statement, etc.)
  • Approval of the property owner, homeowner/condo association, or place or worship, as applicable.
  • Proof that required permits or approvals were received and inspected.

3) Fill Out Application

Complete the online application. Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District staff will review it, determine the expenses eligible for reimbursement, and notify you if any further information is needed. You can expect your reimbursement check within 60 calendar days after your application is found to be complete and accurate.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant