For Immediate Release
May 21, 2020
Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA) will close all Metrorail Orange and Silver Line stations in Fairfax County beginning this Memorial Day weekend, Saturday May 23. These adjustments to WMATA’s current construction efforts on the Silver Line and the up-coming platform reconstruction efforts on the Orange Line address the health and safety of WMATA’s workers operating the rail system and the contractors working on these two major capital projects.
It also considers the low ridership on Metrorail related to the impacts of COVID-19 and the current Stay-at-Home Orders in place across the National Capital Region
The expanded station closures will advance the two largest capital projects in Virginia - the demolition and reconstruction of the station platforms at four Metrorail Orange Line stations and work to connect the six new Metrorail Silver Line stations to the existing transit network. The closures begin Memorial Day weekend 2020 and are expected to continue through the fall.
Three Things to Know – How Orange and Silver Line Service is Impacted
- All stations west of Ballston Metrorail Station on the Orange and Silver Lines will be closed beginning Saturday, May 23, 2020. The stations to be closed are:
- Orange Line - East Falls Church, West Falls Church, Dunn Loring, Vienna
- Silver Line - East Falls Church, McLean, Tysons Corner, Greensboro, Spring Hill, Wiehle-Reston East
- All Orange Line trains will begin and end service at Ballston. Service will operate from Ballston to New Carrollton.
- There will be no Silver Line service for the duration of the station closures.
FREE Shuttle Bus Service and Parking Information
WMATA will be offering FREE express and local shuttle bus service to provide alternative travel options for those who must travel and use the Metrorail system. The shuttle buses will operate seven days a week during the operating hours of the Metrorail system, currently 5 a.m.–9 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m.– 9 p.m. on weekends. They will operate approximately every 10 minutes on weekdays and approximately every 15 minutes on weekends. Buses will not stop at stations that are currently closed due to WAMTA's response to COVID-19.
- Orange Line Express - Direct service between Vienna and Ballston Metrorail Stations.
- Orange Line Local - Service between Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and Ballston Metrorail Stations.
- Silver Line Local - Service between Wiehle-Reston East, Spring Hill, Tysons Corner and Ballston Metrorail Stations.
Parking at Closed Metrorail Stations
- Orange Line Stations - Parking will be FREE at the Vienna and Dunn Loring Metrorail stations through the end of the summer shutdown. No customer parking is available at East Falls Church Station due to construction activity.
- Silver Line Station – Parking will be FREE at the Wiehle Reston-East Metrorail station through the end of the summer shutdown.
Fairfax Connector Service Connects to Vienna and Wiehle Reston East Metrorail Stations
Fairfax Connector is currently operating reduced service related to the impacts of COVID-19 and to protect the health and safety of Fairfax Connector passengers and operators. However, several Fairfax Connector routes will take those who must travel during this time to the Dunn Loring, Vienna, Tysons Corner, and Wiehle Reston-East Metrorail Stations so that they can connect to the free shuttle bus service.
Routes that connect to the Vienna Metrorail Station
- Routes operating regular service to Vienna: 461, 463, 466.
- Routes that will operate Saturday service during weekdays to Vienna: 630, 640, 650.
Routes that connect to Dunn Loring Metrorail Station
Routes that connect to the Wiehle Reston-East Metrorail Station
- Routes operating regular service to Wiehle Reston-East: 950, 951, 952, 980, RIBS 1, and RIBS 3.
- Routes that will operate Saturday service during weekdays to Wiehle Reston-East: 505, 551, 558, 559, 981, 983, and RIBS 2
Routes that connect to Tysons Corner Metrorail Station
Telework Option for Employers and Employees
Employers may be interested in allowing or expanding telework arrangements and/or flexible work schedules. Technical assistance, incentives and tax credits are available for employers. Free telework support via TeleworkVA! is available by calling 866-469-1010.
- The Transform 66 project has boosted the financial incentive with a new subsidy of up to $10,000 for Northern Virginia employers within the greater I-66 corridor. More at www.teleworkva.org/NorthernVirginia
To learn more contact Fairfax County Commuter Services (FCCS) Employer Outreach Team at 703-877-5641, TTY 711, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Mobile Connector Stores
You may visit Mobile Connector Stores from May 26 - Sept. 7, 2020 to purchase regular and senior SmarTrip cards, EZ passes, add value to existing SmarTrip cards. Customer service representatives will be on hand to help you with your travel questions. Mobile Connector stores will be located at:
- Vienna Metrorail Station: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Dunn Loring Metrorail Station: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Metrorail and Metrobus Passenger Information:
- Fairfax County information and updates:
- Commuter and Employer Alerts:
- Sign-up for Fairfax County text/email alerts – select “Commuter Alerts” under “Department of Transportation”.
- Fairfax Connector Passenger Information: