The Department of Family Services' Life Skills program for youth aged 14 to 21 in foster care helps to prepare them for adult responsibilities and choices. Youth served may live in foster homes, with a family member, in group homes, in therapeutic residential facilities, or on their own.
Our community plays an important role in supporting youth safety, stability, and well-being.
Make checks payable to: Fairfax County Department of Family Services
On the memo portion of the check, please write: Foster Care - Independent Living Contribution Account.
Mail checks to:
Fairfax County Department of Family Services
Attn: Foster Care and Adoption - Permanency & Life Skills Unit
12011 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035
Supports During High School
- Academic expenses such as SAT prep, computers/printers, and school supplies.
- Class expenses such as prom, class rings, yearbooks, and class pictures.
- Extracurricular expenses such as sports equipment, musical instruments, and bicycles.
- Graduation expenses for our annual Foster Care Graduation Event
Supports for Education/Vocational Training After High School
- College preparation expenses such as application fees and books.
- Household and dorm room needs such as basic furniture, household items, and small appliances.
- Transportation expenses such as gas cards, car repairs, bicycles, and bus/metro passes.
- Vocational training expenses such as job training supplies and uniforms/work clothes.
Support for a Pregnant Teen or Teen Mother
- Pregnancy expenses such as maternity clothing, books, and parenting classes.
- Baby care expenses such as car seats, strollers, diapers, clothing, and books.
Support for Teens Transitioning Out of Foster Care
- Household items such as furniture, kitchen items, and bedding.
- Truck rentals to move belongings.
- Car repairs and maintenance.
- Gift cards for groceries, gas, and public transportation.
- Provide support for our summer employment programs.
- Provide employment opportunities (during the summer or school year).
- Provide space for meetings, trainings, and special events. (Currently suspended due to COVID)
- Donate tickets to sports, entertainment, social functions, arts and cultural, bowling, skating, fairs, festivals, movies, museums, parks, and recreation centers. (Currently suspended due to COVID)
- Donate advertising space in newspapers, newsletters, websites, or on the radio and television.
For more information, call 703-324-7639; TTY: 703-222-9452.
Thank you for your interest and support!
Learn more information about Foster Care and Adoption.
The Volunteer & Partner Services Program (VPS) engages volunteers and builds partnerships to support families with children who are at risk of abuse, neglect or placed in foster care or with relatives. Learn more about all Volunteer & Partner Services Programs.