The Site/Building Fire Review for Towns and Site Exceptions record supports Fire Reviews for Site on behalf of the Town of Vienna, Site and Building on behalf of the Town of Herndon and Site exceptions* for the Town of Clifton and the County of Fairfax. *Exceptions apply when the review is not for a new site plan or new construction, only review by the Fire Marshal is required, the area being disturbed is less than 2,500 sq t, and there is not an open bond on the parcel.
The following matric provides direction for where to submit a review based on jurisdiction of property address versus project and plan type.
|Jurisdiction||Commercial Site||Commercial Building||Residential Site||Residential Building||
Commercial or Residential Site Exceptions
|Town of Clifton||SDID||BLDG||SDID||BLDG||N/A|
|Town of Vienna||OFM||BLDG||OFM||BLDG||N/A|
|Town of Herndon||OFM||OFM||OFM||N/A||N/A|
|City of Fairfax||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|City of Falls Church||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
SDID = Site Development and Inspections Division, Land Development Services
BLDG = Building Division, Land Development Services
OFM = Office of the Fire Marshal, Fire & Rescue
This information is the most common for how to obtain the necessary approval for your project and is not representative of all the conditions you may encounter.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Property owners may obtain permits in their own name; however, it is strongly recommended a properly licensed contractor pull the permits as the responsible party so the county can better assist in gaining compliance for defective work.
Accepted DPOR License for this record type is:
- LS (Land Surveyor)
- ARC (Architect)
- LA (Landscape Architect)
- PE (Professional Engineer)
- SS (Soil Scientist)
- PWD (Professional Wetland Delineator)
- PG (Professional Geologist)
- CBD (Commercial Building Contactor)
Before submitting your plan, ensure you are aware of all applicable regulations and conditions that could affect your project, to avoid surprises during the review process. Factors that may apply for this permit include:
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY RECORD?
Apply for your Site/Building Fire Review for Towns and Site Exceptions record online in PLUS under the Fire tab. If you are a first-time user, you must first register for an account.
Instructional Videos for PLUS
- Reference the parent or related building permit number if the proposed scope of work for the same project and address:
- is relevant to a Building record
- has plans submitted on another Fire record of same type
- has a pending or approved Code Modification
Upon submission, the record number provided will start with FTWNFR, then may be "masked" to include the review type being requested as SITE (Site Review), SHL (Building core and shell/base building), TNT (Building tenant layout or full commercial including tenant work), or FMSITE (Site Exceptions).
Document requirements will vary based on answers provided during the application process.
- Plans - Required if plans have not already been submitted on another Site/Building Fire Review for Towns and Site Exceptions record.
- Temporary BPOL Certificate - Required if the licensed contractor does not have an active but required Business, Professional, and Occupational License (BPOL) with the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA.).
- Property Ownership Affidavit - Required if a licensed contractor is not being listed on the application.
- Address List - Required if multiple addresses are to be permitted under the scope of work.
- Provide Plans (aka Shop Drawings) that meet the necessary code requirements.
- Projects located in the towns of Clifton, Herndon, or Vienna require separate approvals from the respective towns.
If corrections are required, you will receive an email with links and instructions to make corrections and resubmit.
- “Issues” are comments from reviewers, which require an applicant response before resubmitting. Please respond to each “open” comment.
- Once complete, upload updated plans and/or documents, if needed, and complete your resubmission.
For further assistance, please refer to the below videos for step-by-step guidance on the resubmission process:
To get a step-by-step guide on PLUS statuses and what they mean, see our What is My PLUS Status? infographic.
Below are the necessary steps to follow after your application is accepted in PLUS.
Staff in Revenue & Records and Engineering Plans Review will review your package for completeness and compliance with the fire code and county ordinances. You will be notified of any deficiencies. Plan corrections and additional supporting documents may be required.
Engineering Plans Review is responsible for verifying that designs submitted for installation comply with the Statewide Fire Prevention Code, Code of Fairfax County, and Public Facilities Manual. The Commercial Plan Review Submittal Requirements will explain what needs to be included in your plans/shop drawings.
Once the review is approved and fees have been paid, your permit card (if applicable) and approved plans will be available to download from PLUS. You will also receive a link via a PLUS email notification.