Welcome to Fairfax County Health Department. You should have already received an email from the Health Department's Human Resources Office notifying you of your new hire appointment to complete essential paperwork. The following information will assist you with this process.
Items You Must Bring to Your New Hire Appointment
- Social Security Card (required by Fairfax County)
- The name that appears on your Social Security card will be used as your official name in our system. If you do not have your Social Security card, you must apply for a new card and bring the original document or a letter from the Social Security Administration showing that a replacement card has been requested. If you need to update your card, please take care of this in advance of our meeting.
- Proof of Identity and Employment Eligibility
- A list of documents acceptable for this purpose is listed on the last page of the I-9 form. Bring your INS documentation if you are not a U.S. citizen. (Bring original documents. Photocopies of documents are not acceptable.)
- Bank Information
- The routing and transit number for the account you would like to use for direct deposit of your paycheck is needed. (We do not need a voided check.)
- Once you have access to your payroll account, you may choose to deposit your income into up to three financial institutions.
Forms for New Hires
While it is not mandatory, below are some of the new hire forms available for you to print, complete and bring to your appointment to save time.
- Ethnicity and Race Identification
- Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement
- Employee Withholding - Federal (Form W-4)
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)
- Employee Tax Withholding Form (VA) - (Residents outside of Virginia: DC | MD | WV)
- Outside Employment Form
If you have another job, you must complete this form and have it approved by your supervisor. If you do not have another job, we still require you to write your name on the form with a line through the text, sign the bottom and turn it in during your new hire appointment.
Benefits for Merit and Non-Merit E-Status
You must make important and binding elections regarding the benefits coverage you desire. The county's benefit programs are an important part of your total compensation and provide additional financial protection for you and your family. You are not able to enroll in benefit programs before your hire date.
- Enrollment in these programs is not automatic and requires you to actively enroll within the first 30 days of your hire date.
- If coverage is not elected within this timeframe, the next opportunity to do so will be during the annual open enrollment period; or within 30 calendar days of a qualifying change of status event.
- Coverage is effective the first month following the date of hire.
- If you have any questions regarding any of the programs, please ask during your new hire appointment or contact HR Central at 703-324-3311.
- Merit and E-Status employees may participate in the Fairfax County health and dental insurance programs and the flexible medical spending program. For E-status employees, Fairfax County will contribute to the cost of the insurance premiums at the rate for part-time employees.
For more information about employee benefits, see the following resources:
Additional information for new hires can be found on Fairfax County's Department of Human Resources website.