A qualified arborist or tree care company can help you decide how to best care for your trees or when a tree should be cut down. Use these guidelines to help you find an arborist or tree care company.
Who to Hire
- Check for membership in professional organizations, such as the International Society of Arboriculture, the Tree Care Industry Association or the American Society of Consulting Arborist.
- Look for companies that employ certified arborists.
- Ask for proof of insurance. This includes personal and property damage insurance, as well as worker's compensation insurance.
- Beware of individuals who go door-to-door offering bargains.
What to do Before Hiring
- Get more than one estimate and do not always accept the lowest bid.
- Make sure you get everything in writing and read the contract carefully. Does the contract cover everything promised?
- Find out who is responsible for disposing of the entire tree, including limbs and debris. Will the stump be removed?