Public Works and Environmental Services

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our administrative offices are open 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mon - Fri - In-person meetings by appointment only.
703-324-1770 TTY 711
12055 Government Center Parkway
Suite 518, Fairfax, Va 22035
Brian Keightley
Division Director, Urban Forest Management

Tree Resources - Who to Call

If a tree presents an immediate life-threatening hazard, including falling onto electric wires or it is blocking a public road, call or text 9-1-1.

Hazardous Trees on Private Property

Fairfax County has no legal authority to require the removal of hazardous tree(s) that are located on private property unless the tree(s) threaten the public at large.

When there is a dispute between neighbors about a potentially hazardous tree, this is a civil issue and Fairfax County will not take action in these situations.


Where is the tree?

The responsibility for hazardous trees on public property generally lies with the agency that owns or maintains the property. To find out who owns the property in Fairfax County, use the Department of Tax Administration ICARE property search or the GIS Jade map application

A tree that is already down and on the ground is not considered hazardous unless it is blocking a street or road. For public streets and roads call VDOT 1-800-367-7623. For county streets and roads call Maintenance and Stormwater Management 703-877-2800.

The following links contain contact information for hazardous trees on public and private property.

Tree Location Who to Contact Website
On Your House Get everyone safely out of your house. Use your cellphone or go to a neighbor’s house and call 9-1-1 If A Tree Falls On Your House
Watch video 1:34.
On Power Lines Never touch a downed wire or trees in contact with power lines.
Dominion Power: 1-866-366-4357
NOVEC: 703-335-0500
Dominion Energy Outages
NOVEC Outage Center
Downed Trees on Power Lines
Posing Hazard to Public Areas Fairfax County Forest Conservation Branch (FCON) at 703-222-0801, TTY 711 Hazardous Trees On Private Property
On Private Property Removal is the property owner’s responsibility. Tree Removal
If a county-owned tree caused property damage, submit a claim Property Damage and Injury Claim Reporting
Near Public Streets and Roads Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623) | TTY 711 VDOT’s online reporting form
Sidewalks View online map for maintenance responsibility Walkway Maintenance Online Map
Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623) | TTY 711 VDOT’s online reporting form
Fairfax County Maintenance and Stormwater Management at 703-877-2800 | TTY 711 Walkway Maintenance
On County Parkland Fairfax County Park Authority at 703-324-8594 | TTY 711 Tree and Debris Removal from Parkland
In Northern Virginia Regional Parks NoVa Parks at 703-352-5900 Northern Virginia Regional Parks
On County Property Fairfax County Facilities Management at 703-324-2886 | TTY 711  
At a County Construction Site Construction hotline at 703-324-7470 Construction Site Complaints
On Fairfax County Public Schools Property Fairfax County Public Schools Facility Management at 703-764-3500 Fairfax County Public Schools 
Near Stormwater Management Ponds Fairfax County Maintenance and Stormwater Management at 703-877-2800 | TTY 711 Contact Maintenance and Stormwater Management

How to recognize the signs of poor tree health and learn what to do if a tree falls in your yard.

Tree Management
Ordinances / Regulations
Fairfax Virtual Assistant