Public Works and Environmental Services

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our administrative offices are open 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Mon - Fri
703-877-2800 TTY 711
10635 West Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Chad Crawford
Maintenance and Stormwater Mgmt

Storm Drainage Easements

What are storm drainage easements?

An easement is a right granted from a property owner to another for a specific use of a portion of the owner's land. Utility operators (gas, electric, sewer, etc.) often have easements for the purpose of installing and maintaining their utility lines and structures. As with most utility easements, storm drainage easements are permanent and run with the land (i.e., survive any sale of the property). They generally require the property owner to give up certain rights, such as building permanent structures (additions, decks, certain types of fences, etc.) within the easement to allow for proper function of the system and unimpeded maintenance access.

Who maintains the storm drainage easement?
Property owners are responsible for routine grounds maintenance such as grass mowing and trash or debris removal, and should ensure that systems are kept free of yard waste such as grass clippings, tree trimmings and leaves that may block the flow of water. Trees, shrubs and other growth in easements belong to and are maintained by the property owner. The county maintains the drainage system and structures within the easement to allow for proper function of the system.

How do I know if there is a storm drainage easement on my property?
Storm drainage easements may be shown on the plat you received when you purchased your home. In addition, easements are recorded in the Circuit Court Land Records (703-691-7320, TTY 711). For further information or assistance, contact the Maintenance & Stormwater Management Division at 703-877-2800, TTY 711.

plat showing storm drainage easements

Plat Showing Storm Drainage Easements

What are public street rights-of-way?

A public street right-of-way is publicly owned land that contains both the street and a strip of land on either side of the street that holds appurtenant facilities (sidewalks, sewers, storm drains, etc.). For further information or to request maintenance in a right-of-way, please contact the Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623), TTY 711.


Map Showing Public Street Rights-of-Way

Fairfax Virtual Assistant