The Sugarland Run and Horsepen Creek watersheds (22.5 square miles and 23.5 square miles, respectively) are located in the northwestern part of Fairfax County, and cross into Loudoun County. Sugarland Run drains to the Potomac River and Horsepen Creek drains into South Fork Broad Run, which then drains into the Potomac River.
Major Streams and Tributaries
Sugarland Run: Major tributaries include Folly Lick Branch, Offuts Branch and Rosiers Branch, as well as some unnamed streams.
Horsepen Creek: Major tributaries include Cedar Run and Frying Pan Branch as well as some unnamed streams.
The town of Herndon is on the border between the two watersheds. Part of the Dulles Airport property is in the Horsepen Creek watershed and Frying Pan Park is also in this watershed.
Sugarland Run and Horsepen Creek Watershed Management Plan
The Sugarland Run and Horsepen Creek Watershed Management Plan was adopted by the Board of Supervisors on Dec. 7, 2010.
Full Plan (28 MB)
- Table of Contents, Acknowledgments and Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Watershed Planning Process
- Chapter 3 - Summary of Watershed Condition
- Chapter 4 - Summary of Watershed Restoration Strategies
- Chapter 5 - Watershed Management Area Restoration Strategies
- Chapter 6 - Benefits of Plan Implementation
- Chapter 7 - Glossary / Acronyms
- Chapter 8 - Bibliography
- Appendix A - Sugarland Run and Horsepen Creek Draft Watershed Workbook (21 MB)
- Appendix B - Technical Documents
- Appendix C - Summary of Public Involvement
Several projects have been completed or are under development from the watershed plan. Please see the project list website for a list of these projects per watershed.
For additional information or to request material in another format, please email the Stormwater Planning Division or call 703-324-5500, TTY 711.