Students who are healthy and fit will come to school ready to learn. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that the health status of students is strongly linked to their academic success and recommends coordinated school health programs to improve educational performance and the well-being of students as they become adults. The resources in this toolkit are designed to help increase health knowledge, attitudes and skills; increase positive health behaviors and outcomes; improve education outcomes; and improve social outcomes.
Promote Good Health in the School Setting
The School Health Promotion Toolkit is a resource developed by the Fairfax County Health Department in partnership with Fairfax County Public Schools.
Use the toolkit resources to help raise student, staff and family awareness about making healthy choices.
Learn about "95210 for Health®," a formula for promoting good health habits for children and teens.
School Health Promotion Materials
Help spread the word about medication safety.
Social Media Posts
Share the updates below with your social networks.
- When it comes to friends, some things aren’t meant to be shared. Medication intended for a friend may cause you harm. #ffxhealthykids
- To little ones, medication may look like candy. Talk to your kids about medication safety and keep ALL medicines in a secure location. #ffxhealthykids
- Good friends can help you make good decisions — but sometimes friends influence you to do things that you may not want to do. Don’t feel pressured to misuse medication. #ffxhealthykids
- Brain exercises that focus on silent breathing and meditation may help you with self-control and decision-making. Give it a try! #ffxhealthykids
- If a friend asks you to take medication, ask yourself, “could this be harmful?” Take a deep breath, listen to your body and think before you make a decision. Focus on doing things with friends that make you healthy and happy. #ffxhealthykids
- Do you share your toothbrush and underwear with friends? Of course not! Be a good role model and don’t share medications. #ffxhealthykids
- How can you prevent prescription drug misuse? It’s simple – use medications safely and turn down the invitation to misuse. #ffxhealthykids
- Peer pressure is real and sometimes saying no to a friend is hard. If you are offered medication, say “no,” and tell your parents! They’ll thank you for it! #ffxhealthykids