Our mission is to promote livable communities which enhance the quality of life for the present and the future by:
- Promoting convenient, attractive, harmonious and healthy communities;
- Planning for future infrastructure needs;
- Encouraging a sense of community;
- Embracing diversity;
- Promoting the protection, conservation and restoration of natural and heritage resources;
- Addressing the needs of low and moderate income populations;
- Encouraging economic development and community revitalization;
- Enhancing stakeholder participation;
- Providing services, information and guidance on land use and zoning issues; and,
- Identifying and utilizing technological innovations.
The primary purpose of the Department is to provide proposals, advice and assistance on land use, development review and zoning issues to those who make decisions on such issues in Fairfax County. The Department of Planning and Development consists of five areas: the Planning Division (PD), the Zoning Evaluation Division (ZED), the Zoning Administration Division (ZAD), the Community Revitalization Section and the Urban Centers Section.
If you need assistance with a question, please contact the Planner of the Day. The Department of Planning and Development is located in the Herrity Building, 12055 Government Center Pkwy., Fairfax, VA 22035.