The mission of the Zoning Administration Division (ZAD) is to interpret and implement the adopted Zoning and Noise ordinances in a fair, consistent and accurate manner. When necessary, Zoning Administration Division prepares amendments to the Zoning and Noise Ordinances to better reflect the community’s needs, values and goals.
The Zoning Administration Division enforces, maintains and administers the provisions of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance and Noise Ordinance. This is accomplished through, but not limited to, the following activities: investigating and processing alleged violations of the Ordinances and Codes, including litigation when appropriate; analysis and drafting of requested amendments to the Zoning Ordinance; providing interpretations of the Zoning Ordinance; responding to appeals of various Zoning Ordinance determinations; and processing permit applications such as Building Permits, Non-Residential Use Permits and Home Occupation Permits.
Ordinance Administration Branch
- Prepares Zoning and Noise Ordinance Amendments
- Prepares responses to requests for Zoning Ordinance interpretations and zoning compliance letters
- Prepares and presents staff reports for appeals of Zoning Administrator decisions
- Prepares and coordinates the distribution of Zoning Ordinance supplements
Zoning Permit Review Branch
- Provides general information on the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map
- Reviews Building Permits for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance
- Issues Non-RUP's (commercial occupancy permits) verifying that the use is in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance
- Issues Home Occupation Permits
- Issues Temporary Special Permits for uses such as Christmas tree stands or carnivals
Zoning Inspections Branch
- Issuance of Sign Permits, Dance Permits and Noise Variance Waivers
- Conducts property related research and field inspections to ensure compliance with Zoning and Noise Ordinances