The mission of the Zoning Administration Division (ZAD) is to interpret and implement the adopted Zoning and Noise ordinances in a fair, consistent and accurate manner. When necessary, the Zoning Administration Division prepares amendments to the Zoning and Noise Ordinances to better reflect the community’s needs, values and goals.
If you need assistance with a question regarding a Zoning Ordinance provision, including what a use may be, applicable yards or setback requirements, if a proposed use or structure is allowed in a specific zoning district and under what permissions, and other general zoning-related questions, please contact the Planner of the Day at 703-324-1314 or by email at ORDAdmin@fairfaxcounty.gov.
The Zoning Administration Division consists of two sections that perform the duties listed below.
Ordinance Administration Section
- Provides general information on the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map
- Prepares Zoning and Noise Ordinance Amendments
- Processes appeals of Zoning Administrator’s decisions
- Maintains current and historical Zoning Ordinances for reference and research purposes
- Prepares responses to inquiries including, but not limited to requests for:
- Issues certain administrative approvals or permits including:
Zoning Permits Section
- Provides general information on the Zoning Ordinance (including the Sign Ordinance) and the Noise Ordinance
- Reviews Building Permits for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance
- Reviews and issues sign permits and comprehensive sign plans
- Plat requests for single-family detached dwellings
- Issues the following zoning permits:
- Accessory Living Unit Administrative Permits
- Nonresidential Use Permits (NonRUPs), also known as certificates of occupancy, for nonresidential uses
- Home-Based Business Permits
- Special Event Permits
- Height Certifications
- Limited Riding or Boarding Stable Administrative Permit
- Dance Permits
- Noise Waivers