The Zoning Evaluation Division (ZED) is charged with processing all zoning applications submitted to the County, and formulating recommendations to the approving bodies. All land use development proposals and applications are subject to approval by the Board of Supervisors, following a recommendation by the Planning Commission or by the Board of Zoning Appeals. In addition, ZED responds to requests for proffer and development condition interpretations, to requests from residents and community groups concerning zoning, and to requests for litigation support from the County Attorney.
If you need assistance with a question regarding previously approved entitlements (rezoning, special exception, special permit, or variance), entitlements currently under consideration, or the entitlement process, please contact the Planner of the Day by phone at 703-324-1290 or by email at DPZMail2@fairfaxcounty.gov.
The Zoning Evaluation Division consists of four branches that perform the duties listed below.
- Prepares legal advertising and posting of property for public hearings
- Distributes new zoning case information and staff reports for public meetings
- Provides general information on the zoning evaluation process
- Schedules zoning applications public hearings
Conformance Review and Acceptance
- Accepts all zoning applications (rezonings, special exceptions special permits, variances)
- Processes interpretations and minor variations of previous approvals
Rezoning and Special Exception Evaluation
- Processes and coordinates Rezoning and Special Exception Applications
- Conducts technical review, negotiates with applicants, responds to citizen inquiries
- Presents applications and staff position at public hearings before the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors